First Stab at DIY canister filter!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
So here it is:
IMAG0586.jpg

60 oz container, 100 gph hydor pump with adjustable flow, 1/2 inch pex pipe and fittings that I had laying around. the output is going to be a small spray bar made from the pex as well. so far the leak tests have been good and maintains a steady suction. we'll see how it works.......I just found a thick acrylic air tight jar the same size.....so I might use that instead. Think I might have gotten carried away, seeing as this is for 5 gallon.....The more the better is what I say!

IMAG0586.jpg

ska d

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
I love DIY projects, just wish I had a suitable work space to build and test. Even if just used as a water polisher this looks like a great idea. Feeling inspired.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

phish4brains

AC Members
May 14, 2012
The Poconos, PA
Real Name
Josh
Are you serious? For a 5 gallon aquarium?

How is the lid being clamped on?
Haha...this was originally supposed to be a SMALL canister.....half the size....but like I said, I got carried away! Either way I am having fun with it! Will prob get a smaller container. Lol My original plan was to use the container that comes with the crappy Nutrafin co2 kit, but I cracked the lid. The lid on this has a lever on the top that seals it. It ran for a whole day in a bucket with no leaks.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Nice. But wouldn't the soft pvc have been easier? Just curious.

I'm going to probably be building one tomorrow, if I can get all the parts, for a 5 gallon and then moving it to a 10 gallon. Crayfish are filthy animals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store