First Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldfish123457

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
I have purchased a 36 gallon tank and currently have a single goldfish.

The tank is going through its first week cycle with the fish. The tank is cloudy and has an odor.

Internet sources say this is due to a bacteria bloom and the cloudiness will subside. Water changes should take care of the odor.

The problem I am having is finding a water source. Apparently, according to the internet all water is bad for fish and will kill them. It is absolutely ridiculous. No source of water is suitable for fish... Its amazing they have managed to survive millions of years in water.

I have two choices and only two choices. Tap water that I dechlorinate or well water that is softened using salt tablets.

The softened well water has a water chemistry of:

NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0
PH - 7-7.5
KH - 180
GH - 30-60

Please let me know which is a better choice.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you know the parameters of your tap water or can you check them? Salt is not the best option for most freshwater fish. I've never done water softening but it seems like potassium salts are (possibly) a safer option, if more expensive. Goldfish are fairly hardy...

Welcome to AC! I wish I had more info to help you...but someone who knows will likely come along soon

goldfish123457

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
Do you know the parameters of your tap water or can you check them? Salt is not the best option for most freshwater fish. I've never done water softening but it seems like potassium salts are (possibly) a safer option, if more expensive. Goldfish are fairly hardy...

Welcome to AC! I wish I had more info to help you...but someone who knows will likely come along soon
Thank you for your reply.

I understand that potassium chloride is safer. It is also 5-6x more expensive than sodium and not an option. This is a carnival fish and while I am attempting to do my due diligence I will not be spending more money monthly to keep a fish alive than a 60lb dog.

I will assume your vote is for dechlorinated tap water.

thank you for your response.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK

I understand that potassium chloride is safer. It is also 5-6x more expensive than sodium and not an option. This is a carnival fish and while I am attempting to do my due diligence I will not be spending more money monthly to keep a fish alive than a 60lb dog.

I will assume your vote is for dechlorinated tap water.

thank you for your response.
What is the hardness of your tap water? Goldfish thrive in hardwater and high pH.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Use your tap water and the appropriate water dechlorinator. If your local water company uses chloramine as a disinfectant, be sure to choose a dechlorinator that is made for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd use your tap water as well. Use a good dechlorinator such as seachem prime or the granular form safe.

Is the goldfish the intended fish for this tank? Having 36gal w/ a single goldfish cloud up and stink in a week makes me think you're adding too much food?

Reactions: Sprinkle

goldfish123457

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
I'd use your tap water as well. Use a good dechlorinator such as seachem prime or the granular form safe.

Is the goldfish the intended fish for this tank? Having 36gal w/ a single goldfish cloud up and stink in a week makes me think you're adding too much food?

We do plan on adding more fish to the tank. Something colorful and small that will do well in the conditions I have described. Thank you for suggesting what conditioners to use. If you have suggestions on what fish and the number of fish that would help to balance the biosystem or look colorful and fit well within the parameters I have mentioned I would take the advice.

The tap had a KH of 60 and a very high GH. The PH was 7-7.5.

goldfish123457

AC Members
Dec 19, 2020
What is the number for GH if I may ask? The pH is 7-7.5 just to make sure?
Too many q’s.. What kind of goldifish do you have? If you have a fancy one you should be fine but if if you do have a normal, usual, one then it will overgrow your tank or will get stunted I’m afraid.
After changing out 15 gallons yesterday the tank is currently
0 NO3
0 NO2
7 PH
40 KH
30 GH.

I have the kind of goldfish they give you at the carnival.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store