first time discus !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
How often are you doing water changes and what are your tank parameters? It is possible it's just skin irritation from your water or from going into water that's different that what it's used to. Of course it's possible it's some sort of parasite like gill flukes. Keep your water very clean, and keep an eye on it. Is the fish appearing to be dark? I'd hate to see you throw meds at it not really knowing what's wrong, that fish is already stressed enough. Any chance you can take a pic and post it?

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
poor fish , it still dosn t eat , and mostly stay moveless at the bottom or by the back glass :( ... i called my friend and told him to take it away ,
as the matter of fact i ran outta test kit and i cant buy one these days ,so i donno the parameters but the water is crystal clear for me , i do 30% of WC every 2 or 3 days now with discus ( before that it was every week )
i notice some small black spots all over its body i donno if they were before or not , and i cant notice if it become dark or not cuz i didn t see it before :(
i ll try to take some shots and will post here asa i got some ...
and one thing else , today it mostly stayed SIDELONG at the bottom of the tank under a driftwood and seems to me that breath slower than other times .. is it a bad sign ???

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
On the bottom, sideways under the driftwood probably means he's dying.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
:( ... after i post here , i went to the tank , do a 30% WC , remove all my swordtails , and now ( for bout 15 min i watch him ) he seems less stressed and explorin around the tank , some times goin up and down across the side glasses ,shaking himself ,watchin and nippin the plants , rapid moves and ... but still no attention to any food ... at least he s movin ! it s a good sign yeah ? :) ( dosn t lemme take a good shot )

Last edited:

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
Many Discus have tiny black spots(pepper).

Exploring very good sign.Sliding under wood,might be only stressed or nervous and not sick,sounds like doing better.,give it something larger to hide behind.

Breathing slower most likley a good sign.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
i gave him away .. :(

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm sorry to hear that too. Hope the little guy makes it.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
yup , i really wanted to keep a discus , but hate to watch him suffering , perhaps oneday i ll get time and more space for a discus tank :) ...

AquaGem

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Kzoo Michigan
Real Name
Tori
That was a good and brave thing for you to do. It must have been very hard to give up a fish that you want so badly. Many people don't think of the fish before themselves. You are an example to many. Hopefully he does well in his new home :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store