First time here - looking for stock suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sheehanje

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2018
I have a ~70% stocked 75 Gallon. I'm looking to add one more complimentary fish to my current stock - I have a school (Tiger Barbs X10), an extensive worker crew (otos X6, Rust Cory's X5, mystery snails X3, and of course detrius worms in small numbers). My pleco isn't a huge algae eater, and being on the social side of pleco's, I consider him one of my show fish (Gold Nugget Pleco), and my biggest goofball show fish in the tanks is a Blood Parrot.

Seeing I have plenty of filtration (2 Fluval 306's) - I'm also planning on adding a Fluidized Sand Filter at some point seeing they are beneficial to planted tanks - I would like to add one more show piece type fish that A) Will stand up or be mostly ignored by the BP/Barbs) and B) Won't terrorize anyone else.

Fish I don't want, or already know won't work: Angels, Gourami's, Geophagus (I have eco-complete planted substrate, they really need sand), GBR's (I moved the cory's from my GBR tank because their tails kept going missing). Also, while I love Apistogramma, I fear the BP would pick on them too much and compete for hiding spots.

Here is a recent corner shot of my tank - which has been up and running for about 15 months. I'm in the midst of moving gravel around as it all shifted front heavy.

75 Tank - corner shot.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and considered!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would just round out your current schools. Otos and cories both are best in the biggest group you can support.

sheehanje

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2018
I would just round out your current schools. Otos and cories both are best in the biggest group you can support.
I'd be hard pressed to do more Oto's - mainly because I'd fear they wouldn't get enough algae and I haven't been able to get my current group to accept wafers or veggies.

I'd consider more cory's - but Rust Cory's are fairly rare in the LFS's around here - and I know only Cory's of the same breed school together. I got these 5 on a special at one of the better LFS's around, and they unfortunately only have 5 left - so I'll keep my eye open for more.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept a BP, I "hear" they're fairly mellow for biggish cichlids. Maybe a blue acara? They have similar coloring to geos, we loved them years ago.

Or a male firemouth or similar species? Like I said, I'm not sure with the BP.

More corys would be great, ask if your lfs can order them for you.

How big is your GN? & which species is he? Super cool fish but some get huge.

sheehanje

Registered Member
Apr 11, 2018
I haven't kept a BP, I "hear" they're fairly mellow for biggish cichlids. Maybe a blue acara? They have similar coloring to geos, we loved them years ago.

Or a male firemouth or similar species? Like I said, I'm not sure with the BP.

More corys would be great, ask if your lfs can order them for you.

How big is your GN? & which species is he? Super cool fish but some get huge.
He's on the mellow side - but he does like to show he's boss. It's been funny with the cory's because they will follow him like little puppies across the tank, then he will turn and chase them. I'll see on the cory's - the other thing is I don't want to go too stocked - 85% is my ideal number (using Aqadvisor) and right now I'm at 70%.

GN is just a juvenile at about 2.5 to 3 inches. - I always buy juvenile fish - I like to see them grow.

I'm not sure which designation mine is - the LFS didn't share that information. I've had him a month. Maybe you could help? Below are a couple photos - one zoomed in, the other not zoomed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My go to site for all things catfishy-ish is planetcatfish.com. He? is very pretty but also quite young. I have no guess as to his L # or even if you can tell yet. There are at least 3 species of "nuggets". All pretty!!

I love to buy juvenile fish & watch them grow up...but I like to have an idea what they may grow into :rolleyes:. My weakness is loaches...but pretty plecos are in the mix :cool:

Reactions: sheehanje
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store