First Vivarium!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I'm not too concerned with that. I am planning on a HUGE moss wall along the entire divider, a buch of dwarf sag on the bottom and then some type of floating plant so there will be plenty of cover for shrimp and fish. I am OK if some get eaten and I chose species that breed fast to keep up with the ones being eaten.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I got my order of shrimp and an air pump today!

I've got the sponge filter going and I am acclimating the shrimp! Most of the shrimp are very small but there are a few that are showing saddles! Upon closer inspection I saw a SUPER DUPER TINY LITTLE baby apple snail! It's big enough to see that it has a light foot and a light shell with dark stripes! I don't know that it will stay that way but I wanted apple snails for this set-up so it's all good!

I'll try to get some picks after I get them in the tank!

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Update!

Some shots as of today!

Full tank shot. Notice the sponge filter!

Here are some of the shimp by the sponge filter. It's hard to get a good pic of them because they move so much and so fast!

And another.

Some adult mealworms just in case anyone cared to see what they look like!

That's about it! I can't wait to get some more plants for the land section along with some aquatic plants!

Speaking of terestrial plants, I don't know what kind of pitcher I want. I thought about doing nepenthes ampullaria but the more I think about it's non-carnivorous habits, I think I want someing a little more...... exciting. So calling all CP experts, what pitcher would work best for me?

Thanks!
Razz

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I hit "Post" too soon!

What do you guys (and gals) think about using some live sphagnum moss?

I like the look of it and I think it would add a cool aspect to my tank.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I'm hardly an expert, but given the space and conditions, I would recommend a ventricosa to start with. it'll grow quick, and the pitchers are really pretty cool! Most any hybrid of ventricosa should do well too.

I like the idea of live shpagnum. =)

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
I like N. ventricosa but do you think it matters that it's a highland species?

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks! I can't wait to get some more plants in there!

I just replaced the breeding medium from my crickets (sand) with peat so it will hold moisture better and I've already seen 4 females lay eggs! I know this sounds bad but I can't wait to feed the babies to my frogs and fish! :grinyes:

I have also seen some breeding from my darking beetles and am waiting to see how that turns out! *The picture above of the beetles shows two pairs breeding! :22_yikes:

I just hope my frogs eat all the live food I put in there because I am sure both the crickets and the beetles would love to breed in this tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store