fish and loud music

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
Im thinkin about setting up this 100 gallon i jus got in my basement but then i started thinking about the fact that the room it would be in is were me an my friends/band jam......like really loud haha cus im on the drums and guitars and vocals and amplifiers and it just gets really really loud down their.......is that gonna be bad for the fish i put in that tank?

I dont wanna stress them out or anything cus I really want this to be a good healthy breeding colony of peacocks

anyone dont this with no problems??
thankssssss

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Ahem... I think fish like a lot of bass!

/ you may roll your eyes now

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
More seriously... I think last time this question was asked the general consensus was that it's fine/no problem.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
depends on how loud. a pair of jbl 12" dj speakers killed a whole wedding reception of betta "center pieces" for my mother in law. the bettas were supposed to be part of the reception gift packages but didn't make it through 4 hours of bass. in most cases i'd suspect poor care, but almost 80 fish in 80 bowls kinda confirms it. with a bigger tank it might not be such an issue though as these were bowls just larger than the cups they come in. being so small i can only assume added to the ease of disturbance caused by the sound. plus they were surrounded by people acting out and drunk so who knows... but it happened so be careful/mindful.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
depends on how loud. a pair of jbl 12" dj speakers killed a whole wedding reception of betta "center pieces" for my mother in law. the bettas were supposed to be part of the reception gift packages but didn't make it through 4 hours of bass. in most cases i'd suspect poor care, but almost 80 fish in 80 bowls kinda confirms it. with a bigger tank it might not be such an issue though as these were bowls just larger than the cups they come in. being so small i can only assume added to the ease of disturbance caused by the sound. plus they were surrounded by people acting out and drunk so who knows... but it happened so be careful/mindful.

Someone cycled and dechlorinated 80 Betta bowls for the reception?

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I don't think it should be THAT much of a problem, as long as you don't jam every single day. Give the fish some rest from the music once in a while.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
Someone cycled and dechlorinated 80 Betta bowls for the reception?
nope... they came that way and were delivered just before the reception. apparently this was not the first time bettas had been used in this manner and it's not as uncommon as one would think.

still regardless (chlorine and water temp dependent) bettas have been abused for years. they should have still made it 4 hours even in uncycled bowls. as far as dechlorinating, it's only a couple gallons... maybe under 10... so simple enough.

for 100 gallons i might tend to side with red_wall... should not be a huge problem. i have 1000 watts in the living room with my 50 gal and my guys survive just fine.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
i posted a thread like this recently, and like someone said, general consensus was that it wouldn't bother the fish, and it doesn't seem too. my boyfriends band practices twice a week in the basement and they've got enough volume for chicago down there.. i monitored the fish around the first few practices after we set them up and they sure don't seem to mind at all. :)

nikond70s

AC Members
Jun 21, 2009
i think it should be fine as long as its continuesly(spelling check) loud. because if its all quiet and suddenly loud the fish will get scared. i noticed a few times when the door shuts loud or theres a big noise it spooks out the fish..or maybe thats just my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store