Fish and plants recommendations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Here’s a 7 gallon planted tank. I am just wondering what fish should I add in there? I want to add more plants in some of the spots on the rocks and maybe dwarf hair grass or carpet plants on the bottom of the tank. Any suggestions?
I am using JCP full spectrum RGB lights and they are great for plants and fish!

https://amzn.to/2XGmoSD

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Hairgrass is not the easiest IME, I've only seen it look good with co2 (not me!). You might have better luck with lilaeopsis or dwarf sag for a similar look. Or glosso for a different look. I'd just pick 1 species & see how it does. I'd let the rock plants grow for a while before adding any more to the rocks.

I like your rocks with moss & buces! Shrimp might look nice, maybe a betta if you like them & won't mind a few shrimplets getting eaten. Or a school of micro fish like tiny rasboras, CPDs Just 1 type though, your tank is quite small.

Last edited:
Reactions: lampro

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Depending on your water, I would go with neocaridina shrimp, not fish.

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Thank you! I am planning to add more Buce on the rock in the back and not sure if I should add some moss on the front rocks.
I temporary have a guppy in the tank but I want to try pea puffer

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept puffers, but 1 should be ok if you can supply enough snails. I think you have another tank...

Your buce on the right near the filter intake looks happy & like you could snip off a bit to put on the left rear rock. Your moss (fissidens?) is nice & if you want you can easily remove a pinch to add to the front rocks.

Just a suggestion: a dark background will hide your filter.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
A puffer would likely be a good choice.!

You could have maybe 2 or 3, but to do so I would think to remove the rocks and add more plants, so there's more water to swim in but still plenty to break the line of sight.

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I have a small update. I just added Anubis nana on the left rock's gap but the anubias is really long. Is it ok for me to trim out all the longer roots?
Which rock should I remove? The front rock can be easily transfer to my 10 gallon.

IMG_2299.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally when I had pea/dwarf puffers, I had no rock.

You could start with one, and see how you go

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Another small tank update so I added AR in the middle which I think is good and plentiful and I added helferi on the right but I think I will fill up the entire right side with later on.
I got the AR from tropica and it is my first time getting tropica container plants and they are really healthy I am quite surprised!

I am not sure why I my moss have some hair algae on it So I will out all the moss and now it only has a thin layer of moss on the rock.

I will be adding a pea puffer in the tank since I have so many tiny snail in that tank. I think the puffer will create a perfect ecosystem.

IMG_2369.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I wondered about hair alga in your earlier pic...but I thought it was just blurry. I only see it when I over fertilize &/or leave lights on too long.

I hate to admit it, but I've killed AR mini more than once. I haven't had good luck with downoi either. I think both really would like co2, Good luck!

I wouldn't trim much of the anubias root, maybe just that really long 1 heading to the left. I'd go for vertical line where it branches & leave those little side rootlets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store