Fish dying. Need help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
You'd be surprised how hardy a lot of aquatic plants are to be honest. But agreed silver dollars will eat them anyway.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Oh okay....well I wasn't even going to try it cause I don't trust myself at all with plant life.....I've been doing 40% water changes daily and all of the fish seem to be doing fine and are active. The 5 in 1 test strips still read 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate.....the ammonia test will be arriving tomorrow so I will finally be able to see what those levels are and there have been no casualties since the Pleco :( so I'm hoping that the water changes will help the little guys and the bacteria colonies will begin to establish soon to knock off some of the added worry on my part and stress on the fish. But so far things seem to be doing much better. The white patch is still on my other Pleco's head so I was wondering if maybe I should treat the tank with some general (cure all) medicine that walmart sales or would that be a bad idea? Thank you all for the help!

Reactions: Kannan Fodder

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
Update....the water has cleared a ton but still is a little cloudy but still way better than it was!! And this is now my Cichlid tank! I bought a few more angels, an oscar, and some African cichlids....(I know these fish will out grow this tank but when the time comes I will upgrade to a bigger size they are currently in a 55 gal) I have moved my Mollies, guppies, and black skirt tetras to a 29 gal and now I think things are in harmony and moving smoothly for now. Finally think the water issue is working it's self out!!

Screenshot_20160525-234046.png

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Angels will get massacred by African cichlids eventually :( way too slow moving. I would rehome the oscar as well, as they are a giant waste producer and require quite large tanks themselves. They do not mesh with Africans, either. Which Africans did you get? Did you buy them from the dreaded assorted cichlid section?

"The white patch is still on my other Pleco's head"-no expert, but that sounds like ammonia burning to me. Or some sort of surface bacterial infection :( I agree that water changes and monitoring are your best bet, here. I hope I wasn't too negative with my above post. I had some beautiful angels get torn apart by my Malawi cichlids, and would hate for you to have that happen further down the road.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Ya. . . mixing African and South American cichlids is NEVER a good idea. They just don't understand eachother and on the whole African cichlids are a lot more aggressive. Also, oscars and angels are never a good mix. I'm disappointed that no one told you this when you purchased these fish.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
I only bought African and the Oscar's and angelfish haven't had any issues yet. Which I know that can change so thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a close watch on them.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
"yet", bro.....trust me. It'll happen when those cichlids realize how slow and vulnerable the angels are. Then the battle between Afros and oscar will happen, and you'll have a lot less Afros :( personal experience from about 6 years ago speaking. Not to knock you around, but cichlids are from a ton of different places. Malawi cichlids are from Lake Malawi in Africa, as are Tanganyikan from Lake Tanganyika, Victorian from Lake Victoria, and some others if memory serves. The oscar is from South America; totally different water, totally different living conditions. The angels are also from SA, but the Amazon mostly. They are VERY different from Africans, and share water with other slow moving cichlids and discus. Again, not being rude, I just have a ton of regurgitated experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store