fish for a 75gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Anthias are a nice colourful fish if you can address their feeding habits.

Royalgrammas are nice fish though if you keep dottybacks it might be an issue.
And for the more unusual of reef inhabitantsm how about a Bluethroat Trigger. The males are more colourful than the female but they are reef safe and dont grow very large at all.

Liquidcfour

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
western, New York
are the blue throat triggers agressive like the others?

thanks for more input..
-brandon

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
No not at all. They are mainly planktonic feeders and rather shy to be honest. When they are settled they are very active and great fun to watch with lots of character.
They are prone to jumping as they are easily startled though. My old bluethroat shared a cave with 3 bloodshrimps and never once did it give any trouble to any inhabitants to the tank.

The niger trigger is also comparitively reef safe althoughthey grow much larger and their size can make them bullies after a while.

Liquidcfour

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
western, New York
nice lookin fish too...
dose it attack other fish?
i gotta research this fish...
great help :) :)

-brandon

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Nope it doesnt attack other fish. I kept bicolour blennies, Hectors gobies, firrefish, clown anthias with it.. all these are relatively small and could easily be picked on by a fish of this type. It ignored them totally. Its a very greedy fish and at feeding time it would use its muscle to push to the front of the line to get any food that came its way. It never attacked anything though.

If you do want a fish such as this then i recomend you look for the male (shown above). The female doesnt have the colur that the male does.

Liquidcfour

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
western, New York
yea i saw that lastnight when i was searching...

any other ideas? anyone?

-brandon

RJJ_EXPERT

AC Members
Jan 10, 2003
Visit site
Are You High You Think Tang Will Not Survive In A 75 Gallon I Nevever It Was Ideal Conditions And A 100 Gallon Really Is Not That Much Bigger I Have Kept Tangs In 75 Gallons Before And Am Keeping One In A 48 Gallon Right Now As Long As There Is Swimming Space And Retreats As Well As Porper Nutrion And Skimming I Have A Prism And A Berlin Turbo Both On A 48 Gallon And If The Fish Ever Got To Large Ill Just Buy A 200 Gallon But I Have Seen 12" Sailfin In 80 Gallon Doing Just Fine!!!!!!!

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
Man... doing just fine? You asked the fish yourself aye? Seriously Tangs NEEED swimming space and A little 80 gallon gives them about 5 inches of space when going depth wise. Like I've said over and over... there is a difference between surviving, and THRIVING. IME tangs do much better with tons of swimming room, people say they are "prone" to ich, but what I've found is they are "prone" to ich when they don't have swimming room, because they are stressed!

Asfur

AC Members
Jan 26, 2005
Fish First is right. No offense but surviving anf thriving are totally different things. just because you have great skimmers and equipment like that doesnt grant the tang extra swimming room. the only way to give the tang extra swimming room is to give it a bigger tank. If the fish gets too large you would buy another tank? So what happens? the fish dies before it reaches adult status? As you mention getting a 200 gallon as if its no real problem then why not start out with one? I would not dream of housing a tang when i had my 40 gallon, i got the 100 gallon for the very reason to house a tang, i very quickly realised that this was not enough room to be honest so the 220 gallon is under construction,

I really am not trying to offend anyone buts its extremly important to draw a line on what size tank a tang can thrive in. Saying that a 75 gallon is almost as large as 100 gallon only wokrs for a while.. then someone will say.. well my 60 gallon is almost the same size as the 75 gallon that "he" has his tang in.. and later on.. Well my 40 gallon is not far off the 60gallon that "she" has her tang in.. eventually we see tangs in 10 gallon tanks! (and yes i have seen this happen).

No, sorry, they minimum for a tang (with the possible exception of a Kole) is 100 gallons anf this is borderline really. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store