Fish Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Albinism is recessive so you need to breed albino to albino to get albino. Unless the two adults have the recessive gene for albinism. In which case roughly 25% of fry would be albino. Albinism is a very variable trait in fish. It is possible in some fish to breed two albinos and get all regular coloured fry. This is the case with Kribs. There are different strains that have the albino trait on different places of the DNA strand. There are many genes that can control this feature. "(albi´no) [Port.,white], animal or plant lacking normal pigmentation. The absence of pigment is observed in the body covering (skin, hair, and feathers) and in the iris of the eye. The blood vessels of the retina show through the iris, giving it a pink or reddish color, and the eyes are highly sensitive to light." According to Encyclopedia.com. Albino animals can also carry other colours again due to those features being on different parts of the DNA strand or other causes. Also like other traits it can be recessive, co-recessive or even dominant to other features. You could fill a book with this stuff ( Oh ya thats been done). As to your question about easy to breed fish everyones examples so far are great choices but you could also try zebra or any danio, Kribs, cherry barbs, swordtails or platies, most mouthbrooding African cichlids, and some of the easier to find killifish. There are many many other choices out there as well.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Bristlenose plecos are easy.....I cant discuss all the scientific mombo jumbo...but I do know..out of 2 times the mother bred (both albino bristlenose) all the fry was albino....Not 1 regular one. can you explain that? Thats 100 percent albino.

Maybe its not a true albino? Maybe its a subspecies of the bristlenose and they just call it ALBINO because its GOLD.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
If you don't want fishes that breed too quickly,livebearers are out of the question,neons are hard to breed IMO,try angels,i heard they are not so easy to breed but not very profilic either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store