Fish gasping for air!! please help!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I have put in new mollies in my tank and it is a male and female sailfin breed and the female and several of my platys are gasping at the surface of the air and it looks like they are trying to reach for food when when not being fed. I have plenty of circulation and air stones in the tank. My filter is a bio wheel power filter.

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
lotsa fish do this, cories, loaches, goldfish, etc. I've not heard of these guys doing it, but I also didn't know loaches did untill I got one. nice ride BTW, wanna race an '83 datsun z sometime?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Sounds like there is a spike in the cycle. If you have test kits do a check for ammonia or nitrite, probably nitrite as it blocks the gills ability to get oxygen to the blood.

If you don't have test kits do at least a 30% water change right away. Adding new fish can lead to a spike in ammonia and nitrite. Over feeding can as well. So for the next few days really cut back on the food.

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
I tested my nitrites/nitrates, ammonia, and pH and all seems to be fine and I did my maintanence last night (replace filter, partial water change, pruning plants, ect.)

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
well, no one has really asked the question, so I will
what are your "normal" levels?
what is the ammonia level?
nitrite?
and I doubt very much that its a bacteria loss. 90% of the bacteria live within the tank, not the filter. Prolly more then that.
anyways
so, mollies and other surface dwelling fish have upturned mouths and they can seem like they are gasping for air, so, the only real way to know if they are having trouble is, are they still moving around normally? are they semi vertical? as in trying to jump out?
see if this helps

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
They swim okay and my male sailfin molly will swim with his dorsal fin clamped and will sometimes have it erect for a brief amount of time and I use qickdip test strips and the nitrates/nitrites are below 5ppm I think and it says my ammonia is safe and the pH is neutural. I have a marineland bio wheel filter that replaced my old regent aqua-tech power filter and has been running sice thursday and I also add a tiny bit doc wellfish aquarium salt to the water.

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
So you replaced the whole filter? That might be causing another cycle. Nitrate and Nitites are 2 different things. Some nitrate is ok but nitrite is toxic to fish. I would doing some water changes to get the nitrite down until your cycle is complete.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store