fish has a lump on one side

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pierre_john

AC Members
Sep 20, 2000
Smithers, BC, Canada
Aqauarium Salt always works wanders, I was going to say raise the heat a little but I know that gold fish are susceptible if exposed to high temp. But, if you do not have any scaless fish, I would treat your fish with salt, 20% water change every other day. And, see if that helps. Good Luck

spanky37

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
New York
Visit site
I agree, a quick death is a lot more humane. I hate to see the poor fish suffer. But I just don't have it in me. Maybe after going through this year after year I may think differently. For now, I will try adding salt to the tank and see what that does. Poor Spanks.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
My point in other threads, which was by and large missed by most readers, is that I don't see the sense of jumping through endlessly expensive medications, futzing with the bacterial colonies, the tank mates, and all that, for a white cloud fish or a comet goldfish, that cost 5 for a dollar, ya know what I'm sayin? I mean, if it was a $100 Queen Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, or you live a thousand miles from a fish store, that's one thing.
It's got nothing to do with money, Tando.
It is about bringing a living creature into your home purely for your own personal amusement. To me, doing so implies a committment to providing for that creature to the best of your ability. When you take on a responsibility, you... take on a responsibility. Simply throwing the creature out and buying another teaches you nothing about what was going on in the first place. It also leaves way too much room for a recurrence of the problem- and that doesn't even take into consideration the ethics of the practice. We're supposed to be striving to do better for the fish in our care- if we want to be good fishkeepers. You do want to be a good fishkeeper instead of just some schmuck who has fish, right?

spanky37- goldfish are very prone to tumors.
I would
1) Provide as pristine an environment as possible- water change often (check out the "tub to tub" method in the link below) and keep a very close eye on your parameters.
2) Feed high quality foods with as much fresh greens as the fish will eat.
3) Photograph the fish now so you have a reference as to how fast the mass seems to be growing.
4) Browse around this page starting with the "fish physical" to better determine what is going on.

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I think freezing a fish to death would not be a bad way to euthanize. Haven't you ever heard what a person goes through when they freeze to death?

They're really cold, then, when they start to die, they feel very warm all of a sudden and very sleepy. They curl up in the snow and it feels like a big warm blanket to them. Then they fall asleep and die.

If you ask me that's one of the best ways to go. Much better than most deaths.

Bustedthumb

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
cliff-pics.com
I tend to agree with the freezing method...but there's a catch to it. When a person, just for example, freezes to death...yes, it's been said that they "feel" warm and just go to sleep. This is a result of gradual freezing. Dropping a person into freezing water after being in the sun is a whole different story. A heart attack ensues. I would think the same applies to fish, or any living creature. So, to humanely freeze a fish to death would require taking a small bowl/container of tank water...placing the fish in it...then placing the container in the freezer. This would seem to me to induce the hibernation effect. I've read that flat out dropping a fish into cold water only knocks them unconcious (sp?). Then they get to wake up later in the septic tank and go through whatever process to die there.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disregard this completely.

kitty kat

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2017
the reason why your fish spanky has lumps is because the water is too dirty ad you are meant to clean it out once a week, otherwise they can get quite poorly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store