Fish Health - Trying again.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
OK, apparently my first attempt at this question was poorly done...or you were all on vacation right? So now all you fishy veterans are going to show me your vast knowledge and experience right?

Anyway, if you were raising fish from juveniles, how would you know that they were growing up healthy? Are there milestones that most fish reach by certain ages? Should they be growing at a certain rate?

Are there any good recommendations on books, websites, etc. that might give me some insight?

All I can find on the web so far is some basic information about diet, max size, and some pictures of adults.

Thanks.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
You can look at the common ingredients for a healthy fish. But for juviniles, I would look at if their all growing at the same rate, the coloring at that age. If they are all acting the same. Visually, you can see if there are any deformities. just sit down and watch the fish. That would be the best way to see how their health is. get to know them better...

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
dude: thats how you can tell how healthy the fish is. thats your answer. what other is there? oh wait. Yes. you can kill one of them and take a blood sample. Then, after a week or 2 and you get the results back from the Lab, you will find out if the fish was healthy or sick....

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i dont know of any websites, youd be best off asking people about the individual species your raising.

sChArF

AC Members
Feb 11, 2002
Calgary, AB
arofanatics.com
I Ask them if they are healthy if they don’t answer i pick another fish..

just like mentioned before. Watch how they swim if they are swimming upside down that sets off alarms. But also you would want to look at other tanks to see if they are being taken good care of as well. (no dead fish in tanks, no big white sports, etc...)

It really does depend on the type of fish.
But what i like to do is open the top and put your hand there as if you are going to feed them. "Healthy" fish should rush to the top to get the "food". But this depends on the type of fish as well.

Best bet is to find a local breeder in your area. Thought an aquarium society. Best part the fish will be accustom to your water conditions.

wetmanNY

AC Members
morleyz you can't say anything that's not too generalized to be very satisfying, unless you're talking about growth rates of one species. And then you're not going to get much hard data...

Jamison made a good point: are the young all growing at the same rate? Some always do pull ahead of the others, but this is a basic way to judge them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store