Fishfriend's 20 Gallon "Quiet" Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
If my 75 Gallon Tank is a bustling city of fish then my 20 gallon tank is a quiet hamlet with friends and neighbors who all know each other. 20 gallons, 3 feet long, with over 60 gallons of filtration, heavy planting, and a low stock this tank was built to be as free of maintenance as possible. It is easily my favorite tank, scape wise, and has a very pretty collection of fish, all peaceful small fish. Here's the tank stats:

Tank&Equipment:
Tank: 20 Gallons, Long. Comes with wooden stand and a new hood/light (the old one met a bad end in my 40 gallon).
Filters: 2 Small, compact, dead silent HOB Canister filters each rated at 20 gallons and 1 small, compact, internal filter with a waterfall. Small is relative, it's almost too large for the tank.
Lighting: Single strip T8 florescent light.
Other Equipment: 1 Korilla Nano, 1 Air Pump, 2 heaters.

Decor:
Driftwood: A few longer, thinner pieces (around 2-3 feet long) and a few smaller pieces.
Rocks: Mostly white rocks that match the substrate. Very pretty :)
Substrate: Moon-light Sand + a bit of gunk from filters/food/poop that worked it's way deep into the sand bed. About 1in deep at deepest.

Stock:
Fish: 5 Black Neon Tetras, 1-4 corys (can never find more then 1), 2 ottos, and 1 truly breathtaking Sparkling Gouramis.
Inverts: a decent number of pest snails, 1-2 nerita snails, and an ubermassive pest snail (as large as a netira) named "Big Bett", 1 remaining ghost shrimp.
Plants: 1 Hygrophila, Hygo Agnus, Duckweed, Java Moss, Anubas Nana

Picture:
130727-170617.jpg

What I love most about this tank is that besides a monthly water change (I know, bad me, blah blah blah) and food every 1-3 days the tank is entirely self-sustained. I have NEVER needed to clean the glass of algae, never needed to suck up excess food, only ever needed to clean the filters once ever 6 months. The tank's perms remain stable and well within the acceptable range for all perms tested (the big 4). The snails, ottos, and cory(s) all take care of excess food, the plants keep nitrate/nitrite down at a little under preferred levels, and the fish all look amazing in the tank. The neons can vanish into the plant mass in the center and you'll never spot them, the grouamis gives me a death scare at least once a month when I can't find it for weeks at a time then it's there again, the ottos are adorable and the cory(s) is hard to find unless it feels like meeting me. All in all, my favorite tank of my 3 currently running tanks.

130727-170617.jpg

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I plan on setting up a nice peaceful planted tank soon. I hope mine turns out nicely. I am sick of all my fish fighting haha.

MostlyHarmless

AC Members
Jul 17, 2013
Nice tank, nice balance do you top off the water often? I change my water weekly and I am usually down an inch or 2 especially in the winter when the air is dryer.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The water is so low right now because I'd been away on vacation for a week and my house tends to get fairly hot (and it was rather dry over the week I was gone). I usually try to keep it near/at the top, which means topping it off about once a week to two weeks.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
@Danny-O: Haha, I wish all my tanks were nice and superlow stocked - would make my life easier too. Instead I'm stuck with weekly WCs on a 75 gallon with buckets to refill -_-

I managed to located the adorable sparkling gouramis when I was fixing a tipped over filter (long story), still doing okay. Scared me that I couldn't find it after I got back from vacation.

MostlyHarmless

AC Members
Jul 17, 2013
One of tricks I learned from my multitank syndrome is put tanks somewhat close to windows. Not in direct view of the windows, but close enough that I can siphon water directly out the window. I then have a pump with about 20' of hose that runs to my sink so I can pump directly into tanks for water changes. The only ones I have to bucket is to the sink from the tanks in my basement.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Due to my mom being scared of collapsing floors (-_-) all of my tanks are in the basement... and below ground level... haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store