Fishkeeping means I cannot use touchscreen,

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I do not own nor use a smart phone nor any tablet computing devices. When I got shopping I have issues acceptung the CC charge on the screen. I use my index finer, touh the screen and nothing happens, i can repeate this a few times and maybe or maybe not does it do anything. I recent learned that if i use my thumb to accept it works better. This is something not new to me. Ever since the first touch machines on ATMs came out I have had this problem.

I few minutes ago for some reason I was on Google search and decided to ask how touch screens worked. the I asked "why do some people have problems with touch screens"? And I finally learned why.

I have had skin issues since the day I was born. I still have to use cortisone cream now and then to combat it. I have somewhat dry skin. Since i began with fish 20+ years ago my hand and arms are in water in thans for many hours at least 4 days a week.

Here is what I discovered: https://melbournehand.com.au/touchscreen-difficulties-do-you-have-zombie-finger/

What is Zombie Finger?
This is the term that is given when people are not able to get their touchscreen to respond to their fingertip contact.

To understand why this might be the case, we need to understand a little bit about how touchscreens work (which is quite amazing). Touchscreens produce a small electrical field. When touched by a finger, or similar item that can absorb the electrical charge, it is able to measure the disturbance in the electrical field, and use the information to initiate a command.

Why is it that some people cannot use a touchscreen?
If your fingers have significant callous or you have very dry skin, it can impede electrical conductivity. This prevents the flow of electricity. So you can end up mashing away on the phone or tablet in vain with your ‘Zombie Finger’.
My hands are very very dry all the time and I use Neutrogena Hand Cream. Despite this my hands are still dry and sometimes it gets so bad a finger will get a crack.

It is not just touch screens that are a problem, I also tend to drop things a lot. Dry skin means you little or no natural oil on your fingers. This helps to prevent things from sliding out of your grasp.

I finally understand that fish keeping is exacerbating my issues with touch screens. Since the use of touch screens did not really blossom until after I was well into a case of Multiple tank Syndrome, I never had a chance.

Fortunately, I am a privacy nut and I have never wanted a smart phone. I also dislike small screens, so a tablet was never in the cards either.

At least I finally understand why touch screens and I never got along and likely never will. But this means the last thing I want is a car which has a lot of its functions controlled by a touch screen. My brother and I own the same model Subaru but two model years apart. Mine has no screen and his does. I have a problem tuning his radio on the screen and do not use the video to parallel park. The screen confuses me and I have been parking for almost 58 years without one. I am hoping my 2013 Subaru with 62k miles on it will last me until I am too old to keep driving. Moreover, I cannot see myself getting into a self driving car.

Good morning passengers. Welcome aboard Con-West flight 101 from Mumbai to New York. This is a fully automatic flight with no pilots. This is your autopilot speaking.

Today we will be flying at an altitude of 27,000 feet and cruising at an average speed of 520 mph. All of the systems and functions of this plane will be managed by the autopilot. Take-off, landing and flight will be completely controlled by an advanced, triple backed up series of computers. Do not be worried about anything as this system has been thoroughly tested and nothing can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong.........

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I battle the same screen affliction when my hand eczema flares up terribly. Keeping moisturizers on (medicated stuff or otherwise) is difficult when I need to wash my hands constantly and use various types of gloves at work.

I also have psoriasis on my right forearm and leg. I have topical stuff for it and have to get steroid injections to keep it at bay. The spot on my forearm gets a little bit bigger by the year. Been battling it over 10yrs. Can't afford the fancy meds they advertise everywhere. Some of them are $1000 or more per month.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I use two things to help but sometimes they are in the way. The first is I use a latex, powder free exam glove on my right hand, I seal it using NexCare Waterproof Tape. On long days of tank work I have to take it off for a bit and they put a new one back on. I also have the Aqua Golves which go up to my armpits. The problem is these are quite thick and I cannot use a hand with them for any kind of fine work. This glove goes on my left arm.

The think is there are some things one needs bare fingers to do so I need to be able to remove a glove to do them. Sometimes I forget and one hand goes bare or its supposed to be a fast job that turns longer.

The Neutrogena cream takes quite a while to soak into the skin. Until it does if you get you hands wet it turns into slime. So i cannot expose fish to my hands unless i wait for some time and then wipe them well. The right one in the glove is mostly safe but every now and then the glove leaks now and then because I failed to sell it 100% of else working opens it a crack.

One year in the vendor room of the NEC my hands were so bad,(skin cracked and bleeding in places) I had to ask buyers to net their fish on Saturday to avoid getting my hands in the water. Folks were very sympathetic, fortunately.

I do have one complication. I discovered decades ago when I used to develop B&W film and make prints in a home bathroom darkroom. Apparently something in the chemicals set of a nasty allergic reaction. I would get 100s of tiny blisters all over my hands. never figured out what caused it but the only thing that helped was prednisone. Ove the years other things set off the reaction- Miracle Griw plant ferts was one such thing. And this leed me to conclude that it was something in the nitrogen familiy at fault. Different nitrate is used in the film developing/printing. Nitrate is a fert.

I now find in my unplanted tanks that I sometime get that same allergic reaction. However, it is not as bad as the photo chemicals, ferts and some other rare things that set it off (for ex. blood worms can do it). Apparently the concentration in the water is mild compare to the other things that set if off.

*SIGH* The things we do to keep fish......

dougall

Mar 29, 2005

That is all

• Haha
Reactions: dudley
Apr 2, 2002
New York
So now to use a touch screen I need a sausage holder? In fact wouldn't I need a sausage warmer because, I fear a frozen sausage is no better than a dry finger or one in a glove (don't even bother with a mitten)?

What about a hot dog? Would that work?

What about a small dead fish? That can be pointy and finger size/shape? I have lots of fish........

Maybe we can invent a warm glove with a conductive material on the end of some of the fingers so they work on a touch screens? We can go on Shark Tank for investors?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
if we are being practical, I could suggest the gloves designed to allow the use of touch screens, or maybe one of the styluses designed for the purpose.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have trouble with some touch screens like the signature 1s some places use & some screens get less sensitive as they age. I like to have a couple longish nails as tools for delicate scraping, plant pruning & (ahem) nose picking, etc. My hands are often slightly sweaty (not like the poor drippy handed). Cleaning the screen can help too...I imagine sausage residue is not great either, lol

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm still processing the sausage holder..

• Haha
Reactions: dougall
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store