Fishless cycle question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
Hey everyone, I am doing a fishless cycle on my 60 gal tank. I have pretty much started over and today is the first day of cycling. I am wanting to know in your experienced opinion, if I am going to have an african cichlid tank, prob 15 fish or so is it better to do the add and wait method or add daily method? I have the patience for either and I cannot get any fish for at least a month anyway so that part is not the issue. Thanks everyone.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A fishless cycle requires the addition of ammonia to do the cycle. Once the cycle is done, you can add all the fishes at once.
PS--what species of cichlids do you plan on stocking in the 60?

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
I have added ammonia, the two ways listed above are both options for using ammonia. I apologize for not clarifying, I honestly thought these were well know methods.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Doug, I'd add your ammonia until you read about 2ppm with your liquid test kit. You don't want to overdo it. I've been down that road and got such a huge nitrite spike, it was over-range on the API test kit, which will read zero. It's a long process if you're starting from scratch. A good 4-6 weeks. Any chance at getting some good, well seeded filtration media you can use?

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
Possibly, I am currently on the hunt, I have read that this helps a lot. If I am able to find some how much time does it cut down the cycle?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You can stock right away if you're starting off with seeded media. You still want to verify daily with your test kit untill you're 100% sure nothing but nitrates are being produced.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Also, I'd log your daily test results, additions of ammonia, etc.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store