Fishless Cycle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've kept an angel in with the pearl I had and never had a problem, but this mix can often be an issue with aggression. Some gourami can be real jerks, as can angels. This is why in a smaller tank, you generally have one or the other.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I've kept an angel in with the pearl I had and never had a problem, but this mix can often be an issue with aggression. Some gourami can be real jerks, as can angels. This is why in a smaller tank, you generally have one or the other.
in a 55gallon it would be ok though? Adding a few morefake plants for now for hiding and what not

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It worked in a 55g for me. It's one of those things you can try with the expectations you may be re-homing one of them.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
FreshyFresh FreshyFresh thanks!

T TwoTankAmin - Fish store is closed Tuesday and Wednesday so they will be open tomorrow. Should I redose one more time today before I do a water change tomorrow morning to get the fish? Or just let it be?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Bristlenose are egg layers not live bearers, so they do not arrive pregnant. It requires a male to fertilize the eggs to get fry.
Ah! For sure on that. I can't keep track of my own disasters. Never tire of hearing how dumb I am too. :D

Some years back I purchased what I was told were two females. Not so much! LOL

Last edited:

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
You do not need to dose again if you stock tomorrow.

Bristlenose are egg layers not live bearers, so they do not arrive pregnant. It requires a male to fertilize the eggs to get fry.

If you want threadfins, plan a second tank :) Have a read here http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Werneri.htm
one tank is good for now! What would be a good alternative for this tank? I liked them because of the colors and long fins. Really looking for schooling colorful.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Bought a few more taller fake plants to add for hiding. Now which of these 3 setups would be best since I got rid of my threadfins ☹ ? If I can get away with “fuller capacity” I like those. But thats why I have the 90% option as well.

38D797DD-8A13-4EC8-8FD9-4BA23828A6BE.jpeg

D39A6CD2-EF5D-45D6-B685-00369F3846E0.jpeg

3E4AB0B4-84B5-401A-9991-B57B1D575AC0.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would only have a male & a female pearl gourami...you "might" get away with 2 females & a male but that's pushing the "happy limits", IF you can sex them reliably when younger (& be very sure you don't buy "balloon fish" they're short lived & well, obscene!)...Go with a bit lighter stocking, there is no need to start out with the maximum # of fish, as they say for many things, less is more...& more easy to take care of & sustain...I'm lazy & like lower maintenance...I would start with 1 nerite snail, my only 1 died when it ran out of brown diatom algae...it didn't recognize other foods (veggie or prepared)...3 or 4 is too many to start with...you might be sorry, I was...:(

& think hard about real plants, they can be as easy as fake & so much more rewarding...When it's time, start a new thread & we'll help you!

Reactions: railer20
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store