FIshy Cycle/Water Changes/Tempurature stabalization (m)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

samsaramom

AC Members
Hi there, here is some background to where I am in the fish cycle:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67543

since I posted this question I did a 50% change with conditioned water (overnight, dechorinated etc).

This brought the ammonia levels to 0, Nitrite 0.2 mg/L and Nitrate 5 mg/L (I changed the water in the evening, and tested the next morning)

I'll test the levels later today to see where they are. If they are the same, I'll do a 10% tomorrow.

When I am doing these water changes, I'm getting flucutations in temp. The therm. I have has a green band area (the safe range), and usually the temp will dip to the very low end of the green area, and later it goes to the high end. My heater is obviously very finicky, and I don't "crank" it at all when I put the new water in.

I have a feeling that these temp flucs are stressful for the fish...
Water sitting overnight in my house (this is the dead middle of winter in Canada in my coolish house) is way to cold. Should I use warm water to bring the temp of the water to be added to the tank to be somewhere near where the tank temp is?

Oh, I'll get the hang of this! So far, the fish are surviving!!

H

Fatcougar

Slacker
Jan 12, 2006
Washington State
I am no "Fish Expert", but I know that you should try to get the water as close as possible to what is in the tank before you add it to prevent a shock to the fish. I usually let my water sit in a bucket for 24 hours with the conditioner added with an air stone running to aerate it. Once I am ready to add to the tank, I use a pot to warm some of the water up and add it back into the bucket until the temp is right. An extra tank heater in the bucket would be an easier way to do it. Seems to work well for me.
Hope things warm up for ya soon up there!!!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
temperature is very important!

My stick-on thermometer goes from 72F to 82F in the green range. IMO, this is too much temperature swing for a fish tank. Two or 3 degrees is probably OK.

I suggest adding hot tap water to the bucket to get the temp closer to the tank temp. Just use your hand to judge, you will be within a degree or 2. If you age the water overnight, add hot water to get the temperature close, then add conditioner, you can then add it to the tank.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Is there a reason you're adding conditioner and also letting it sit overnight? I agree with anona and would with cougar but don't know why you're letting it sit overnight after adding water conditioner. :huh:

Personally, I add water straight from the tap, mix hot/cold to get it close (by hand) and add conditioner to the tank while it's filling. Is there a reason you can't just add the correct temp water from the tap into a bucket, add dechlorinator and then add it to the tank?

samsaramom

AC Members
Good question

Thats a good question why I am letting it sit overnight.

There is some crazy part of me that says its the right thing to do...some part of my brain says the water conditoner needs to sit in the water in order for it to work properly. This, obviously is something that I am imagining!!

The advice about getting the water to the correct temp and when to add the dechlorinator makes complete sense!!

Thanks!

H

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
btw, 10% water change will do nothing to bring down ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

you should be doing 50%, or more if your numbers spike.

Fatcougar

Slacker
Jan 12, 2006
Washington State
Hey, sorry I took so long to get back with a response. I let the water sit 24 hours because it changes in PH during that time. Out of the tap it is 6.2, after sitting overnight it settels at around 7.2 . I think it has to do with the amount of dissolved CO2 and Oxygen in the water. ( Correct me if I'm all wet, pun intended). My fish didn't seem very happy after I would do 25% water changes if I didn't let it age. Since changing to this method they have been fine. Water chemistry is a strange animal sometimes.... :duh:

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Ok, your ph changes just from sitting?
Are you using test strips or liquid?
What kind of vessel do you let it sit in?

Ph should not be changing from sitting.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, pH will change as the dissolved CO2 outgases. This is a common occurance for those on water that's under pressure--not common for those on wells. If the original poster doesn't have this issue, then there is no reason to let it sit overnight.

Another reason many people will age water is to allow the chlorine to gas off.

I've used water that was around 60 degrees for 50% changes in a 55 and never seen the water dip more than the difference, with no problems for the fish at all. Some sensitive fish do require more care, but most fish will be fine with a bit of fluctuation, and the addition of cold water is actually needed to induce spawning in many species. A few degrees fluctuation won't be a problem for most fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store