'Fishy' Cycling with Dr Tim's One and Only

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KathleenO

AC Members
May 17, 2008
Thanks Coler - I meant ammonia was somewhere around 10ppm, not nitrite (the highest I've seen was 2ppm)..either way, I completely agree.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
No prob Kathleen :) - ammonia at 10 ppm would also be yikes territory !

KathleenO

AC Members
May 17, 2008
BTW, I'm guessing my "missing" cory cat died and the other fish ate him/her - I've read they're hardy, but also quite sensitive to ammonia - yet another casualty of this cycling process...sucks more than the water changes. The remaining fish are probably thinking the same thing - I'm nothing more than the mistress of death to them.
In any event, since I've accused them of eating the dead cory cat I shouldn't feel compelled to feed them since they've had one heck of a meal already.

I added 15ml of the One and Only again to the tank (it's 15 g) - why not..

Just did a nitrogen cycle check-up and my ammonia = 0.25ppm, nitrite = 0 and nitrate = 5ppm...so that's good. We'll see how things are in the morning.

I do have a question - instead of getting 2 more rosy barbs when this is all over, would a green tiger or panda work as part of a shoal or should I stick with what I have (barb-wise)??

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i am not familiar with One and Only, though i have used BioSpira with decent results. From what i understand, the bacteria ARE free-floating in the water after you use the product, but only for 36-48 hours. by that time they have anchored themselves to surfaces within the tank and filter. once they settle in, they are not in the water column and so you do not remove any by doing water changes. you can clean the gravel (actually, you should clean the gravel) because a lot of waste builds up there and once the bacteria are stuck on you aren't going to pull them off with just a gravel vacuum.

tiger barbs are much more aggressive than rosy barbs. the types should not be mixed.

KathleenO

AC Members
May 17, 2008
Thank you wataugachicken, I don't particularly want a more aggressive tank so I'll stay away from the tiger barbs.

Glad to hear you had good results - I'm hoping things turn around soon - the water quality is much better than it was so the remaining fish are hopefully pretty happy about it.

I have been diligently doing water changes 2-3 times per day and doing some gravel cleaning to get the poop out, but not as aggressively as I was.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
With proper food and oxygen, you should expect your bacteria colony to double in size every 24 hrs, until it reaches equilibrium with the food supply. The ideal temperature for their growth is in the 82 degree range.

KathleenO

AC Members
May 17, 2008
Good news, the big cory cat is not dead (I'll just call him Lazarus from now on) - he must've been really tucked in somewhere where I couldn't see, even with a flashlight.

NH3 before water change was 0.5-1ppm, nitrite = 0, nitrates = 5ppm. After water change NH3 is 0.25ppm I think (I have a hard time differentiating btn 0.25 and 0.5ppm). The water felt a little cool this morning, thermometer said mid 70's. The light warms things up a little and that's on now.

One of the rosy barbs seems to pick on the cories - hopefully if I get another one or two it'll quell the picking - my bettas are getting picked on too, but not as much, they fight back.

thanks rbishop - I'm bouncing btn 75-80 these days, so I'm hoping the bacteria is happy as well as the fishes :)

C.Anderson

AC Members
May 4, 2008
I'm somewhat new...but in my experience bouncing between temps overnight isn't too good for the fish? You might be better off setting the heater for a degree or so less than your daytime temp and leaving it there.

Please let one of the more experienced aquarists guide you, but if I recall 5* might be sort of excessive?

Awesome that you got things cycled though, and that your cory made it lol!

Cris

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
I am just kinda wondering about the bacteria additive you are using.I have used Bio-Spira several times and it has always did a great job for me. The way you are describing the usage of it is not the way Bio-Spira use to have for directions for use.It was to be added all at once.And also since you are adding it at different intervals are you keeping it refrigerated?And when you recieved it was it in a cold pack?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store