five gallon planted ?'s (lighting/etc)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tyler

safety...
Nov 28, 2002
Fargo, ND
www.angelfire.com
i'm about a week away from resetting up my five gallon. currently there is no fish stock with a shultz aquatic potting soil substrate.

the tank itself is a pretty horrible thing. for those familiar with it, it's an aquatank v. for those not familiar with this tank, it's a five gallon acrilic flat back hex. the lid and the tank are one piece, with an opening for the light in the center of the lid. the light opening itself i'm not sure on the exact dimensions, but it's long enough to let two tube bulbs fit over if you so desire. i'll post the exact dimens later.

for lighting, i ordered 2 13 watt screw in pc's that i'm fitting in an 18" incan twin bulb light strip which i will cut to size. i'm not sure what to do about reflectors yet. input?

i've used diy co2 before w/ mixed results. will a mixture with less yeast and more sugar last longer AND/OR cause less of a pH drop? it was a radical pH drop that took out the tank last time. i'm injecting it into the intake of my whisper. anything that could be recommended here?

i plan on having salvinia or similar plant growing across the surface to subdue the stadium lighting a bit.

i aslo plan on using a medium sized piece of drift wood that makes 3/4 of the way to the surface with some sort of plant growing near the tip and java moss growing up the base. can anybody suggest a plant for the top of the wood?

also, i'm not too sure what i want growing as foreground or background. any suggestions? i'd like something to carpet the front nicely, and something to really fill in the back. i wouldn't at all mind reds in the bg.

finally, the fish. i really don't know what i want swimming around in here. some ottos for sure, but what else i have no idea. the only shrimp we have available locally is the ghost shrimp, which i don't mind, but it wouldn't be as useful to me as an algae eating variety. suggestions towards any fish/shrimpstock?

thank you everybody.

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
the screw-in PC's work great - I have them over two planted tanks (20g and 15g) and they grow wonderfully.
For a reflector, I initially used the inside of a potato chip bag. I recently found out that long-term exposure to heat completley fried that shiny surface, so I now have aluminum tape on the inside of the hood - seems to work...

If you put in ottos, have at most one. There isn't that much algae in a 5g tank, so if you have more ottos, they might start eating plants, or going for slower moving fish...
For other fish - keep it light. A pair/trio of small pencilfish would look great. These guys can be very fun to watch interact with each other.
An otto and 2/3 pencils sounds like enough already - personally I might even leave the otto out...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store