Flashing Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gwenkat

AC Members
Sep 24, 2007
South Carolina
Hi everyone. Need a little advice please. Superbowl Sunday I noticed my gouramis flashing. They were rubbing on the flower pots in the tank. During the game I saw them do it, and the new sevs I bought the day before. I have seen this behavior every night since then. The fish are in a 125 gallon tank with a sump and AC 110. The stock consists of:
7 harlequin rasboras
2 gold gouramis
2 moonlight gouramis
1 bolivian ram
1 common pleco
1 paradise fish
3 green sevs

The sevs were the last fish introduced to the tank, the day before the flashing started. Everyone eats fine and seems healthy except for the flashing. My first thought was ich, but I have seen no spots or sign of any other illness. Since this started I have raised the temp from 76* to 81*. I am hoping the heaters I have will get the tank to 84*. Two nights ago I added half the recommended salt dosage (I ran out of salt and got more this morning). Should I add the remaining salt? What could be the cause of the flashing and what should I do? Thanks guys!

Ph - 7
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20 (before water change)
Ammonia - 0
Temp - 81*

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
I'm a TOTAL newbie so feel free to ignore my comment but I would say to continue treating for ich with the salt and the heat. *reminds of newbie status* I lost about half my tank to ich this past week and looking back I realize that I had seen 'flashing' from some of my mollies over a week ago. I had no idea what it was at the time and all the fish seemed fine so I didn't take it on. Bad idea. They all got sick a week later and several died. Ich can be in the gills before you see the white spots on the body.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Gwen, did you not quarantine the new fish? Your case is most likely ich and in which case, add the remaining dosage of table salt. Increase your heat to 84 degrees and turn on all airpumps.

Gwenkat

AC Members
Sep 24, 2007
South Carolina
Thanks guys. Added the rest of the salt and the temp is up to 82*. I think I will have to add another heater to get to 84*, but I should be able to do that in the morning. Everyone still looks good, no spots and less flashing tonight. Thanks for the help.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
don't forget to try and increase your aeration at the higher temps. If you don't have an airstone, you can drop your water level a little to help surface exchange

Gwenkat

AC Members
Sep 24, 2007
South Carolina
Thanks. I have my spray bar above the water and the AC splashes. I also have an extra pump and airstone if it looks like I need it. I am keeping an eye on everyone and so far all looks good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store