Flimsy Brace

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think dougall has it fine...the middle brace is often just to keep front to back bowing & hold up lights...but I haven't had a new tank in a gazillion years...

Reactions: dudley

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Yeah thats to prevent bowing.

My 55g I got has a snapped brace, and terrifying finding out when I first filled it, it bowed and was a major break-risk.

I used a glass panel and aquarium silicone to reinforce the centerbrace.
20201210_185742.jpg20201213_151159.jpg

I probably could have done a neater job, but it was a heck of a nightmare as I had transferred the fish and everything to it before realizing it so had to keep it only 1/4 way full for a few days to let the sealant cure fully and securely.

But it works.

I will say with your centerbrace, as long as it is not snapped and the tank doesn't bow when it's full, it's doing its job.
It's a matter of force being pulled against the brace where it needs to hold.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Yeah thats to prevent bowing.

My 55g I got has a snapped brace, and terrifying finding out when I first filled it, it bowed and was a major break-risk.

I used a glass panel and aquarium silicone to reinforce the centerbrace.
View attachment 229294View attachment 229295

I probably could have done a neater job, but it was a heck of a nightmare as I had transferred the fish and everything to it before realizing it so had to keep it only 1/4 way full for a few days to let the sealant cure fully and securely.

But it works.

I will say with your centerbrace, as long as it is not snapped and the tank doesn't bow when it's full, it's doing its job.
It's a matter of force being pulled against the brace where it needs to hold.
I had a 55 and 90 that did the same thing. I never could get the 90 to hold well enough that I was comfortable. It always seemed to work it's way apart. The 55 did fine, but I used JBWeld top and bottom on the plastic brace to hold it together, and then used a glass panel and silicone like you did. I don't know if the JBWeld made any difference, but I JBWeld everything. :D If nothing else it gives me peace of mind.

WYite

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Someone said it was a lid/light holder if I recall.

It's a weight support.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
From the look of the frames, it's a Marineland tank. There's usually a label on the bottom that gives the manufacturer. If there's a ship anchor on it, it's Marineland. Like said, that center brace is to help secure/stabilize glass tops and act like a strap to prevent bowing. They're really not meant to bear weight down on them. You'll be fine. Lighting has a tendency to break down the plastic there over time is the biggest risk.

Lots of repair options should you need to. I like the JB Weld idea or some type of epoxy adhesive like gorilla glue that requires water to harden.

Reactions: Sprinkle

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Sitting here trying to work out why a 40B has no center brace, but a 65 does. And they both use exactly the same kid.

Gonna have to call shenanigans on it doing anything except preventing bowing.

?

Reactions: Sprinkle

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Sitting here trying to work out why a 40B has no center brace, but a 65 does. And they both use exactly the same kid.

Gonna have to call shenanigans on it doing anything except preventing bowing.

?
A 40b has a more sturdy shape than a longer 55g, less force against the glass in a shorter more compact tank, than a long and narrow and taller tank would have.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
A 65 has the same footprint as a 40, not a 55.

Hence using the same glass lid.

There's only negligible difference in weight/pressure on the lid, do I am really not sure what you are saying?

The brace, vs the frame, has no bearing on the lid being supported whatsoever.

This is clearly all crazy talk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store