Florida freshwater wild fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
I mentioned several weeks ago I was going to start a new freshwater tank with some local South Florida native fish. I got these from near the edge of a local canal. They are very young and I believe they are "mosquito larvae minnows". These small minnows have a great appetite. They eat frozen baby brine shrimp and -- surprisingly -- Tetramin flakes as well.
Not very interesting to look at -- we'll see how big they get -- they are supposedly live bearers. Something different for a change.

001.JPG 002.JPG

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Same thing: Gambusia = Mosquito Fish -- and are one of the most common fish on the planet.

Rollinondubz200

rollinondubz2002
Jan 13, 2009
Southwest Florida
those fish will not get to much bigger..im in southwest fl. ive caught jewel cichlids, oscars, mollys , mayhan and midas cichlids, tons of ghost shrimp, guppies.plus some i dunno what they were

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Further out in the water, I saw atleast a couple of different types of cichlids -- too far for me to go -- the little ones near the shore seemed to be mostly these Mosquito Minnows.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Not surprising that they'll eat flake food. I've caught several before and they will eat nearly anything, just like the captive bred ones.

There are a ton of interesting north american natives. The best bet is to wade out into the water with a dip net, or use a sein to find them. Also try netting in the substrate right along the shoreline since a lot of fish will hide in leaves and plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store