florida Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Ok here is my idea for a future possible planted tank. I am actually thinking on setting up a Florida tank.
I am thinking on ordering the following for a 55 gallon tank.
Elassoma okeefenokee (Pygmy sunfish)
Heterandria Formosa (least killiefish)
Jordanella floridae (flag fish)
Lucania goodie (bluefin Killie)

I was also thinking on adding Gambusia affinis (west mosquito fish) but changed my mind do to their aggressive nature but still may add , Fundulus chrysotus , the golden topminnow.
I have been wanting to do a Heterandria Formosa species tank for the past few years but I am still a little shaky on adding Elassoma okeefenokee to the mix. If any one has any information on these guys, please let me know.
Thanks
jim

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
that sounds like a cool setup. where will you be getting your fish? will you catch them live yourself, or will you have to go to somekind of hatchery? whats the max size of the pygmies? please post some pictures if you do a setup like this. im interested in something like this myself with native species, but i know its a little further down the road for me.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
It sounds like a great set up but I would leave out the Heterandria Formosa. They are small enough, especially the males to be a meal for both the flag fish and the Pygmy sunfish. Is this just a varient of the Elassoma evergladie or a different species? Now all you need is some type of native cat and you are all set. Any small native madtoms that would fit in?

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
Elassoma okeefenokee to where it stands I am not sure. I could be a subspecies of evergladie. I am not sure. But i believe they are about 1.5 inches in length as an adult. But I am assume that both are identical in nature and fill the same niches in the water.
I am not a big fanatic on madtoms, but I am thinking on bottom feeders on using ghost shrimp and a steady supply of scuds. The scuds should eat the garbage down below and also become a live food source for the fish. (I plan on having a seperate breeding tank for scuds and daphina)
But I will try your advice and try the Heterandria Formosa in a 10 gallon plant tank, maybe with some dwarf cories.
As to where I am getting the fish, i found a website that is selling them.
some info on pygmy sunfish.
http://www.nativefish.org/Articles/Elassoma-evergladei.htm

tricksterpup

Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
Real Name
Jim Soos
Ok i have done the price testing between the fish.. from both sites.

well i thought i would edit it instead of doing a new post, went to Johnah's Aquarium and then went to the site i have been veiwing lately.
price difference: Gambusia affinis
from Sachs systems: in lots of 10 - $14.95 with free priority shipping

Price per fish for this species: 1/4 ordered. $15.00. Small fish orders typically range from $25 to $35 total shipping

Last edited:

spikekillifish

AC Members
Feb 26, 2003
Naples FL.
www.millevolte.com
Go 4 it.

Golden Topminnows can be varied in appearance. I have been collecting some spectacular specimens here in the Naples area along canals and ditches. Lots of golden, and turquoise flecks and some have red and orange spots. They are quite active and chase each other around but no fin nipping. They can get big for a minnow I have one in my tank that is going on 4 inches. They are quite hardy and eat anything. All of the fish you mentioned are good choices.

I am new to collecting down here (about 10 months) and am still waiting to catch my first Everglades Pygmy Sunfish. I thought I did until identification proved the fish to be a Crested Goby native to the Bahamas, who's range has expanded naturally through migration. I have an empty 55 cycling right now waiting for a spring bounty of fish, I hope I get some Pygmys as they are supposed to be quite common.

I have kept Least Killifish with large American Flag-Fish, Blue Spotted Sunfish, Golden Topminnows with no problem. The Dollar Sunfish I have (which are 4-5 inches in length) seem to prefer these little guys as a feeder fish. These guys will even breed in a crowded tank as mine did but you need to have plenty of plants and create little hiding spots 4 em. I try to only keep the ones that have the distinctive bright orange dorsal fins.

Good luck with your tank!

Last edited:

spikekillifish

AC Members
Feb 26, 2003
Naples FL.
www.millevolte.com
Priority shipping could be a problem. The longer the fish are bagged in a box the more stressed out there gonna get, not to mention the length of darkness. They might be alive when U get em but may die shortly after. Most internet aquarium stores send fish overnight. I would order a small inexpensive batch first since they have free shipping and see what happens. I would like to know how it turns out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store