Flourite Feedback?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I've only had Flourite Black Sand for a couple weeks, and it's in a planted only tank. I like it, but then I don't have to deal with gravel vacs or anything since there's no livestock. Since it's only been up for a few weeks, I can't really attest to how good it is for plants, but many people say that it's great.

I have a mix of Eco-Complete and gravel and laterite in another tank, and I really like it. I wish I had Eco only in that tank. It's a mix of larger more gravel-sized bits and finer almost sand consistency bits. Supposedly, it naturally settles so that the larger bits are at the surface. Anyway, it seems to be good for the plants. My crypts are doing awesome, and the recently added Echinodorus bleheri "compacta" seem to like it also (Amazon sword mini plant). I also have some others, but they aren't really planted in the substrate, like anubias and Java moss and ferns.

Anyway, I like them both. I think that the Flourite sand would be better for bottom feeders like cories, and I generally like the looks of sand. But, they both have a nice black color and are good for plants. You have to be careful, though, that the Eco Complete doesn't have a whitish colored liquid in it as that has gone bad. The liquid should look more clear with a slight black cloudiness to it from the fine silty material. I heard someone got some that the liquid had turned milky white, and it crashed his tank. I guess that there had been a bacteria die off or something like that.

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
I've only had Flourite Black Sand for a couple weeks, and it's in a planted only tank. I like it, but then I don't have to deal with gravel vacs or anything since there's no livestock. Since it's only been up for a few weeks, I can't really attest to how good it is for plants, but many people say that it's great.

I have a mix of Eco-Complete and gravel and laterite in another tank, and I really like it. I wish I had Eco only in that tank. It's a mix of larger more gravel-sized bits and finer almost sand consistency bits. Supposedly, it naturally settles so that the larger bits are at the surface. Anyway, it seems to be good for the plants. My crypts are doing awesome, and the recently added Echinodorus bleheri "compacta" seem to like it also (Amazon sword mini plant). I also have some others, but they aren't really planted in the substrate, like anubias and Java moss and ferns.

Anyway, I like them both. I think that the Flourite sand would be better for bottom feeders like cories, and I generally like the looks of sand. But, they both have a nice black color and are good for plants. You have to be careful, though, that the Eco Complete doesn't have a whitish colored liquid in it as that has gone bad. The liquid should look more clear with a slight black cloudiness to it from the fine silty material. I heard someone got some that the liquid had turned milky white, and it crashed his tank. I guess that there had been a bacteria die off or something like that.
Do you have any photos of the sand? I am trying to get a feel of how small the particles are.

kittylikesfishy

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
MI
The black flourite is bigger than sand, around the size of smaller gravel. Say... 4 mm or so... I defiantly recommend the flourite. I never add fertilizer and my plants grow beautifully. But a layer of laterite on the bottom is helpful because it releases the nutrients and minerals slower. You can and should rinse both of these though, they can be quite messy. But don't rinse them too much, that's the stuff the plants are living off of! Don't worry though if the water is cloudy at first, it will clear up in a day. Just plant and arrange your decor before adding water, otherwise you're not going to see what you're doing!

kittylikesfishy

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
MI
Oh yeah! I had cories in black sand for years and they loved it! They like to dig depressions in the sand and rest in them, plus the sand is more delicate for their barbels. One reason straight up flourite isn't so great for them, the edges on it is pretty jagged. What have you heard about sand being bad for them?

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
I think Im going to do eco complete instead. Does anyone have any pictures of this in there tank???

Ramphonic

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
MA
Ya it looks dark brown like rich top soil balls so to speak, Im not sure if the stuff on drsfostersmith is original or black.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Nice tank! Yeah, Flourite Sand, like any other sand, is a royal PITA. A way to make it easier is to rinse it in a pillowcase. Works really great if you have a garden hose to push down into the case. Then just massage it until it keeps running clear. I actually did it in my kitchen sink and did smaller amounts at a time as I was using part for a small tank and the rest for another.

It is nice that you don't have to rinse the Eco. It does make a "dust cloud" for a while, but if you use a cup and gentle pour it on the bottom, it doesn't cloud up quite so much. When I did that, it was cleared up by morning. They also have a little packet of "bio clarifier" whatever that is, but I did not use that.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
I've used a mix of flourite black and eco-complete for several months now and my cories show no wear on their barbels. Don't know if this will last but it hasn't been a problem so far the mix looks pretty good. Reason for the mix was the flourite was nearly given away but was not enough volume for my 58, and the eco was the closest available locally. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store