Flourite substrate = Cloudy water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slavenmonkey

Matt Baker
Oct 29, 2005
Yorktown Virginia
Hello I am new to planted tanks, eventhough i have kept cichlids and other tanks for years. my question is how to keep the water from getting so cloudy from the flourite every time the bottom is disturbed.
Thanks

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
Flourite is a great substrate for plants
You have discovered that the product needs to be washed, rinsed, washed and rinsed really really well before you put it into the tank.
Once you get by that it will work well for you.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
From the wording of your post, it sounds like you already have the substrate in the tank.
If so, my suggestion is that every time you do a water change, you gravel vac. (lightly) as much area of the substrate as possible to remove excess sediment from the surface.
Over time the sediment that is left will work it's way down into the substrate and eventually to the very bottom, but for now a few light gravel vacs. should do the job for you.

I am not a great believer in heavy washing of Flourite. I like to keep as much of the extra 'stuff' as possible. After all it's an expensive substrate.
I just rinse it once to get the 'coffee slug' out of it and throw it in. So I know what you're experiencing now. It will settle down over time.:)

Len

slavenmonkey

Matt Baker
Oct 29, 2005
Yorktown Virginia
thanks i am glad to know it will settle down soon, should i take the plants out untill then or just leave them in

slavenmonkey

Matt Baker
Oct 29, 2005
Yorktown Virginia
thanks

theres another substrate i've seen beside flourite called nourish or something like that you buy wet in a 20 pound bag.It looks awesome rich & dark but you pat for the water,I had them weigh it. Anyone useing this yet? its the same price as flourite. Flourite always clouds water for a bit.theres tiy bits of iron oxide rust in it that sounds bad bud its great 4 plants. bad for glass cleaning magnets @ 1st yu have to avoid bottom when cleaning glass with magnets.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I've found a method for adding flourite that minimizes the cloud. It works for me, anyhow.

If, for example, I'm putting in 3 bags of flourite, then I rinse two of the bags once or twice and put that in the tank. Then I take the third bag and estimate how much of it I need to put about a ½ layer on the very top of the substrate and set that aside. I take the rest of it, rinse once, and add that to the tank. I take the part I put aside and rinse that about 50 times :) I layer that on top of the bulk of the flourite to sorta hold down the dusty stuff. Add a layer of brand new paper towels (plain white) that I have wetted down and a few Corelle plates. Then I fill 'er up. The fully washed flourite + the paper towels + using plates to pour the water on really keeps the cloud down. The only time it clouds after that is when I'm planting and the dusty stuff is at the roots where it is needed.

Works for me, anyhow
Roan

nicklfire

Registered Member
Nov 1, 2005
If you read on the bags it advises AGAINST washing the substrate, there's a reason why there is so much particles, alot of it contains GREAT nutrition for the plants. (i just did a gravel to substrate chance last night) i got cloudy water and it's been 24 hours, but give it a couple weeks if you can and it will go back to crystal clear water eventually.

phoenix

Space Cowboy
Nov 30, 2004
www.pbase.com
Many of the members on this board rinse their flourite quite thoroughly before adding it to their tanks and there is nothing wrong with doing so. I would tend to think that the fine particles of dust are present because the pieces of clay rub together during shipment, or some other part of the process, not because Seachem is trying to put them there.

Here is just one of Seachem's responses to the issue of rinsing: http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3556

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store