Fluidized Bed Filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
I believe that I read on here somewhere that FBF's will help to increase your bacteria colonies. Is it worth getting one of these setups on a 20g High? I have an Eclipse 2 system already in place but I perhaps think that my tank might be a little overcrowded or will be in the future.

5 Blue Rams
10 Small/Med Neon Tetras
1 gold spot bristlenose pleco
4 Painted Tetra

I've only had them for about 2 months now, but I was thinking that adding an additional caniser filter or one of these FBF's w/ a powerhead might help in the future. It would also be something I could add to a 72- or 90 I plan to get in the future...what do you think??? thanks for the advice!

steve

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
unless you are getting readable levels of ammonia and nitrite (after the tank has been running for a while) I would stick with standard HOB filters for that size tank.

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
BTW these test kits can be found at local fish stores or chain store fish departments for a couple of bucks.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
A fluidized bed filter holds ALOT of good bacteria. Which means if you add any fish or clean your filter, the bed filter will always hold your ammonia and nitrite levels at 0! So you NEVER have to worry about your good bacteria levels when you clean your filter pads....The sand inside the filter lasts SEVERAL years...Plus it looks really good next to your tank! NIce and professional..

Its really better for the larger tanks....Mine is a 60 gallon. I have an emperor 400 and a rainbow fluidized bed filter.

Last edited:

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who had problems with these as everyone really likes them. I ran two at my lfs (one Rainbow and one Red Sea). The Red Sea was nice cuz you could actually get into the thing to clean it. My gripe is that no matter what pump/prefilter combo I used I ALWAYS found larger debris particles in the chamber. I still think these types of filters are better mechanical filters than bio-filters at times. And the fact that actually SUGGEST replacing the media periodically is very counter-productive...unless you just do partial replacements. My feeling is that they just aren't worth their work and expense, but that's just me ;)

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
that's kind of the idea that I was shooting for. I started my tank about 2.5 months ago and all was going well until I decided to do the first of my monthly filter cleanings and more or less destroyed the bacteria colonies ( beginner boo-boo). It was at that time I went on a work trip for 3 days and left the feeding to my parents. That filter cleaning, the meds I added for some cottony fungi plus my old man overfeeding them like a champ wreaked havoc on my tank. It's taken me about a month to get things back in order more or less and I would like to give myself a buffer for these things in the future... any other opinions welcome.

steve

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
well..Thats why I got it. lets say you overfeed the fish a day or 2. There then would be more ammonia. With a small bacteria colony, it would take some time for them to build up to get rid of the ammonia. During this time, you will have ammonia readings and then nitrite readings. With a fluidized bed filter, You will not have these problems at all. So, if there is a surge of ammonia in the tank, the bed will cover it easily. PLUS, when you buy your next tank and switch your fish over (or buy new fish), you can pass the bed over to the bigger tank and you wont have to cycle that tank. The bed will have all the bacteria already! this would be a big plus!
BTW: when you switch the bed filter to your bigger tank, you still will have the powerfilter on your other tank to cover the Bio...

THESE FILTERS ARE NOT MECHANICAL FILTERS!!!! only Bio...

Hook up a rio Pump with a sponge and you will NEVER get any debris in your bed filter. I have the Rainbow and they work great!

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Hehe, well I didn't intend it to sound like these are purposely built as mechanical filters, just that ones I've used work like one quite a bit. Also, don't know about you, but you couldn't pay me enough money to ever use a Rio pump again.

Just one more point I'll throw out there, don't think that just by adding a FBF it will automatically become full of bacteria. True, it will provide a great environment for it and will allow the colony to quickly increase as apposed to some hang on back units, but unless there is enough nitrogen wastes produced to support them, the numbers of your bacteria will remain proportional to that of your nitrogen waste output. In essence, the colonies in your FBF will compete with those already established. Which ever environment is more conducive to them will become the dominant population.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Of course. BUT the build up of the good bacteria is REALLY FAST. much faster then your typical filter. It really does work wonders on keeping your ammonia and nitrtite readings at 0.
Also, yes, it doesnt come with bacteria and it has to build it up which may take a few weeks. But once it starts going you will LOVE it.

Whats so bad about RIO PUMPS??? I have had mine for a year and its VERY quiet and the sponge on it works great. If you get any debris in your bed filter, you are doing something wrong.
Rio pumps are VERY popular with the professional crowd..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store