Fluidized Bed Filters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Refer to my edit.

FBFs aren't exception to failures neither.

erm... one more edit.
You never mentioned whether you tank you transfer the FBF to would be equal, smaller or larger in size. In case if it was larger, you will not instantly cycle the tank. Only give it a big kick in the butt. If the tank was equal in size, there is still the chance of a minicycle seeing how bacteria can also resign in the mechanical filter, substrate and decor of the tank.

-Richer

Last edited:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
I keep seeing the mention of a fbf being able to handle additional ammonia better than other filtration methods. While a fbf might be able to maintain a larger bacteria colony the colony will only be as big as the amount of food there is available. So if you do over feed or add another fish the colony will have to have time to grow to compensate... It does not have the ability to have bacteria on reserve.

edit: just noticed that richer brought this up.. i should read the thread first eh...

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Look..all im saying its a great addition. if i overclean the powerfilter or if your friend overcleans the canistor. or if you overfeed, or the canistor or powerfilter goes out.

Im not saying the fbf is the all time best:

If the powerhead breaks, your going to have to remove the sand and add new sand and recycle that sand. However, you do have a powerfilter or canistor that will pick up the slack.

If the power goes out. determines how long. More than an hour, all the good bacteria dies and if it is over 3 hours I think? the good bacteria turns to bad and get into the tank when the power comes back on. Thats the samething as the canistor. Power filters work ALOT better then canistors or FBF in a power outage.

FBF is great as a mind relief backup. I like to clean my powerfilter and not worry about killing too much bacteria or vacuum. IF I overfeed, well, I got plenty of room for the basteria to pick up the slack.... So I have no worries.

If your canistor breaks..then your fish are dead if it is a overcrowded tank. At least I have a backup. If my powerfilter (or canistor If I had one) goes out, my fbf will keep my tank healthy.
If my powerhead to my fbf goes out..no big deal..I have the powerfilter that will deal until I can get the powerhead replaced.

Its just makes me feel protected without playing with a loaded gun waiting for that bullet to arrive. No machines are unbreakable.

Last edited:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Decent filtration on a smartly stocked tank will also lead to extra amounts of surface area available to compensate for any accidents. How do you know if your tank is stocked decently? Through lots of research and by asking questions. Unfortunately, many people see fish keeping as a "throw-away" hobby. Fish are living creatures as well, and like in any hobby where keeping live animals are concerned, lots of research is a must.
Ponder this though, if you overfeed enough to cause a fatal ammonia spike in a tank that does not have a FBF, you are basically dumping an entire container for food into the tank.

BTW, I do have backups. Multiple filters. My 66 gallon malawi tank is filtered with a fluval 404, AC300, and an AC200. I bet you if any one of my filters fail for an extended amount of time, one of my other filters can easily pick up the slack. The good part is, I don't need to spend 180 dollars (CDN) for my backups, plus I'll never need to refill the sand, nor have the possibility of the sand compacting in case the powerhead does fail for an extended amount of time.

-Richer

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I actually like FBF, I do think they respond to bioload changes quickly in relation to canisters and even W/Ds. I tend to use them on fry grow-out tanks where bioload is heavy and constantly increasing, and have not had any issues with them other than being a PITA to add more sand in to replace the blowout from startup after my too frequent power interruptions (but they have never failed to restart).

But, just as with any other biofilter, they must be cycled and it will not be instant. FBF are not capable of changing the rates at which nitrification bacteria multiply (and that is slow compared to most bacteria). They may optimize conditions better than some other other filters do, but it is a matter of degree, not kind.

All IME & IMHO, YMMV

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
But Richter,

You see my point right? Its a Great addition to a tank. A emperor 400 or a good canistor can handle the bacteria with the correct bio materials in them.

I can soak my emporer 400 filter in tap water and not worry about the bacteria colonies. If my powerfilter breaks....I dont have to worry about my bacteria. FBF will cover it.

A FBF is an ADDITION to your filtration methods. You should also have a mechanical device as well (powerfilter or canistor or sump)

Im just saying its a GREAT device to have. If I buy another 60 gallon tank, I can switch this bed filter onto that one and the tank is almost cycled!

You can argu that you dont need a FBF...you dont.
I can argue that I dont need a canistor or powerfilter as well.. I dont.

Technically, you dont need any additional devices for a tank...

Richter, I never refill my sand and it keeps level. I dont know where you shop, but my bed filter cost 50.00 us.
as for being able to hold bacteria? I bet a fbf can hold alot more then all those filter you listed easily..

Last edited:

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
what the does that mean? you quoted me..I support both claims...

If I have a USED one and add it to a NEW 60 gallon tank..it will reduce the cycle by alot of time. ALSO, the good bacteria does grow faster in this filter then in others. HOWEVER, it does take a few weeks to cycle a BRAND NEW fbf

slip: why are you ALWAYS on my back??? Please inform me where this gunk is? algae from the plastic tube does once in a while break off and enter the sand, but it settles on the top, which is easily removed. any gunk that enters always is pushed up to the top of the sand...

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh
what the does that mean? you quated me..I support both claims...

i could care less what you support. what matters is if other people have had the same results as you, and/or its been proven.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
RtR supports the FBF. and he is extremely respected here on the boards... also, check the usenets. Lots of positive comments about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store