Fluorescent Full vs Wide Spectrum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nuts4fish

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
Winnipeg, Mb.
I have a 75 gal whose occupants are Angels, Clown Loaches, Pearl Gouramis, Bristlenose Pleco and Siamese Algae Eater.

When I purchased the tank from a friend, it came with a 48" Fluorescent light. It contained 2 Sylvania Gro Bulbs 40 Watt Each. I don't have any live plants in the tank.

Question: When one of the bulbs burned out I went to the local hardware store and found the 40W Gro bulbs, but I also noticed Sylvania made a Full Spectrum Bulb as well. The Full spectrum was half the price of the Gro bulb which I believe is a Wide Spectrum. What is the difference between Full and Wide Spectrum and which would be better for my Fish only tank?

Thank you.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Go with the cheaper bulb for fish only, but for fish only, you might not even want the second bulb at all, it'll just make algae that much easier to get started.

I keep enough light on a fish only tank to let me see the fish, and then only when I'm there to enjoy it, they ar fine with ambient room light most of the time and less algae that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store