Fluval 305 leaking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leannebowman

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2020
I am having issues with the fluval 305 instant prime handle it is pouring out water when pushed down anyone know why this issue maybe? I have had to turn the filter off to stop flooding and the water draining away in tank.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My only experience with a Fluval was a 405? or 404?..I'm guessing the seal O-ring is not working right & may need replacement...but wait to hear what others say...I have only a very limited experience & will not use a Fluval canister again...mine was old...a problematic gift, lol.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Leannebowman

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2020
My only experience with a Fluval was a 405? or 404?..I'm guessing the seal O-ring is not working right & may need replacement...but wait to hear what others say...I have only a very limited experience & will not use a Fluval canister again...mine was old...a problematic gift, lol.
Thanks. It looks all in good tact tried again made sure all on ok and leaking again and From holes under bracket. Don’t no what to do!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm having trouble picturing "holes under the bracket", the lid latches?...Can you post a pic or 2 of what's happening? Or a better discription? I don't understand, sorry....I'd like to help if I can with my limited experience. Maybe after the long holiday weekend in the US more people will help...I hope so

WetTowels

Registered Member
Dec 7, 2023
I'm having the same problem. Just around the primer handle. I just put all new parts in it. How do I get this thing to stop leaking?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have always been a fan of Eheim for canisters. I have several of the older Pro II line. I had a similar problem with the big O-ring that relates to the huge pump button designed for priming. I almost never use it. After I clean a canister I refill it with water before I reconnect it. I am able to lose the intake and return lines when I disconnect them from the lid. This leaves them full of water. When I return the filter and reconnect it, I just plug it back in and it is good to go.

A couple of years ago one filter developed a similar problem to yours. The gasket needed is normally not a part users can replace, But how to do it was on YouTube and Google. So I bought the gasket, followed the step by step instructions and it still leaked. That filter was replaced with a NIB one and the leaky one became a source of spare parts. I have no idea what it would not seal properly, But it was a running filter on a tank so I simple took the top assembly from another filter and put it on the bottom of the broken canister and that way It was still fully cycled and good to go.

But I had an advantage here. I had two NIB canisters I had grabbed a few years back on Ebay. By then they had been discontinued by Eheim who had come uop with 2 model lines since the Pro II. My oldest 20236 has now been going over 20 years. The first decade it double as a CO2 diffuser as I put the output of my pressurized CO2 system into the Eheim intake. It was why I chose Eheim as I did not believe other brands could handle the gas going through it.

My feeling is that given all the things one might have to replace in a canister, the pump O-ring may be the hardest to replace successfully when we try to get it done. I suggest you contact Fluval for suggestions. Fluval was acquired some time ago by the Hagen Group.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store