Fluval 404 woes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
As some of you know I don't clean my canister filters often, just when the flow slows. The 404 is a PITA, hard to get the top off & it almost always takes 2 tries to get it happy again. Either the impeller isn't quite right or the quick connect is hard to seat or something. Finally got it back together & working! Then OH NO there's a pinhole leak in the return hose right at the tank top! When I moved it, the entire hose cracked between the corrugations & then between more of them :mad:.

Luckily I had already found all the pieces to a Rena XP3 in the garage. I just had to remember how to put it together, dump the 404's ceramic media in a basket or 2 & attach everything. I knew I needed to soak the hose ends in hot water to get them on the fittings. Well the stiff hose knocked over the mug I was using & it's amazing how far less than a cup of water can go! It didn't help that it's now dark early & my kitchen ceiling lights don't work (see another thread on that fun).

But the Rena started right up :) The only problem is the hoses are a bit too long & & I should have traded it to the other end of the tank with the AC 70. The hoses had to cross & the intake & return are crooked but I'm too tired tonight to care. Luckily there are leftovers for dinner after I clean up all the water spills & drips. Time for a glass of wine & ibuprofen. Thank goodness my husband knows when to help, when to leave the area, loves leftovers & ;) that I may need a backrub too. Gah! What a day!

• Wow
Reactions: dudley

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Oh no! How long have you had the 404 in service? I didn't realize those had corrugated hoses like that.

I haven't opened up my 3 canisters in probably 4-5 months. Probably should get on it, but like you say I don't care for the process much at all.

My Marineland C-360 and one of my Sunsun 302s has been going strong on all original seals and parts for 7yrs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had going for 6 years or so. But it's older than that, it came with a tank & angels. I know things don't last forever but since that part never really moves I'm surprised that's where it broke. Maybe the heat from the lights?
I know I won't be using it again for a long while if ever. I still have a couple Renas in the garage stash. I remember having minor issues sometimes, mostly air trapped making them noisy until I tilted & shook it. Difficult in the closed stands. I'll see how I feel when it's time to move clean this 1, hopefully not for a while.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a plan. I've never used a Rena or penn-plax or what ever they're called today, but have always heard great things about them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Just an update on my Rena 3 :) (Not a Penn-plax, I think those were Cascades. I now see API Renas, who knew?)

Today I cleaned it for the first time & I'd forgotten how fast canister cleaning can be!!! Easy to take apart & put back together, no swearing or prying apart involved ;). The hoses are still too long but a bit of tilting to get the air out & it's all good. Shortening the hoses is a different project but I did add a prefilter sponge. I should be good for several more months!

It may be that my Fluval was old & Renas were my first canisters, so easier for me. I'm not dis-ing Fluval, just very glad cleaning went fast!!! today.

Reactions: dudley

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'll vote for Rena/API/MARS too.

Not a fan of Fluval filters at all. But they are getting better, I have a canister and couple of Aquaclears laying around from last year, just not used them at this point.

Do like their tanks and lights though.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I still have 2 more Rena 3s in the garage stash but could only find shorter hose pieces...might be long enough for the 110g...but again, another project for another day ;)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can just go buy more hose. ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
LOL, when I need it. I don't want even more stuff in the garage. Our car actually fits in it now! I didn't hunt super hard for hoses or other parts, they're somewhere! I hate buying stuff I know I have...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store