Fluval E Series Heater... broken?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Hey guys,

Just recently started my first planted tank and I bought a Fluval E Series Heater. All of the sudden, today, the heater has started flashing "LF" for "Low Flow." But, nothing has changed. Even if I turn my filter all the way up, it doesn't go away. I don't know how long it takes for the unit to reset the calibration, but I'm not going to leave it running full blast for very long and I'm concerned that something is going on.

Any experience with this or thoughts?

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
It's me.... again. Came home and the heater is flashing red, its several degrees hotter than it should be (granted it's hotter in the house too) and is flashing LF again.

Help please! Is this one a dud or what?

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Got a 300 watt E series in my 75. I've got the opposite going on, often in the blue "cool zone". I've got it set to 77 degrees, but it shows around 74 or 75. Called Hagen (Fluval), and lady explained that these are calibrated to operate in room temps of 68 degrees. In other words, mine is working too hard to overcome my low room temp of about 62 degrees. I did however see mine go into the red zone and give me the LF warning when our New England temps warmed up a few days ago. Not sure why the "flow" changed, even though the temp went up. This warning seemed to go hand in hand with the room temp. increase. Not really sure what to think about these yet, other than the fact they cost a lot of money and I've rarely seen mine in the green "safe zone".

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
what is your room temp, and how high is your heater set?

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
I think I was "wowed" by the technology, but am giving serious thought to returning it for a more traditional heater. Much of what you're paying for is the "precision" electronics and computer chips, but I think the heating element itself is run-of-the-mill. Could be another case of the more bells and whistles the more there is to go wrong.

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
I have a Fluval E 50 watt because I only wanted to maintain stable temperatures slightly above room temperature. I keep my heater set at 77. The first time it flashed LF it was not red and was still at the appropriate temperature. Earlier today it was closer to 80 degrees in the house, but only for about an hour. I had left for town and turned the AC up, not realizing that it was hotter outside. That is when it started flashing red, the temps immediately started to rise considerably, and LF was on the filter. As soon as I reset the filter, LF went away but the temp readings remained the same.

I realize it makes sense that the water will get hotter as the room gets hotter. It doesn't make sense that the LF keeps coming on or that the heater continued to run as the room temps were rising. Hence my concern over whether or not the heater is, as an individual, a dud, or the whole series is a flop.

firstdon

AC Members
Apr 13, 2005
Queens, New York
What I dont understand about these filters is supposedly they flash when the temp is above or below the set temp by 3 degrees. Well isnt the heater suppose to go on if the temp is below what you have it set for? So in theory if a normal heater goes on when the tank cools, how does it get to be 2 or even degrees below what you have it set for? right? Does that make sense? LOL

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I've got a 300 watt E series and love it. It does flash the "LF" once in awhile but we moved it closer to the filter intake and it rarely does it now. If you keep a thermometer in the tank, you'll see that the temp is probably right on.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Well the hole series is not a flop. Obviously there are some that cause concern. If recently purchased take it back to the store and get another heater. The worry alone is enough to drive you crazy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store