Food For a 2.5 - 3 inch Severum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
I need to expand my constricted amount vairity in my fishes food, now i've kept convicts etc. but somehow i think that severums are different (food wise) all i got atm is :
-freeze dried river shrimp
-midium sized cichlid pellets
-small sized cichlid pellets
-Fish Flakes

Now i've heard of feeding cichlids blanched lettus but never done it before, if you's guyz please give me a few simple recipies that i can do myself (i'm reasonably compitent..LOL) that would be great!

remember its a 2.5-3" Gold severum

thanks again!

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
I have 2.5 inch Green Severum and he seems to love little strips of beef heart that I feed to the other fish, in fact that is about all he eats now.

BTW, I had a Gold Severum once and loved it, I have been looking for another one now for about 3 months with no luck....I'll keep trying, I think he would be a great friend for my Green.

Good luck!

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
kool

thanx for the reply, can't say anything positive about them though, i've taken a few shots of my severum. I found it unusual that you wouldn't be able to find a gold severum espicially in 3 months. but beef heart hey...sounds good.

what about vegetable based food?
and
where do you get you beef heart from and how do you prepare it?

i'm used to just simple pre-made food, do i just cut up raw meat (beef heart) and chuck it in for my severum?

i hope ppl stop to read this my title wasn't very appealing i know but that shouldn't matter if i have a valid question. anyway keep them replies coming please!

[EDIT] when i said that replies weren't positive it was a general statement not directed at the above reply [EDIT]

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
Hey Myst,

Still looking for the Gold Severum, must be Utah.

I buy the beef heart at the local supermarket and have them slice it very thin (deli slice). I then lay it on cookie sheets, freeze it and then when frozen I put it in a zip lock bag and keep it in the freezer. When it is feeding time I simply break off a few small pieces and go to work. It is very easy and a beef heart should last you for several months and here in Utah beef hearts are about $2.00....can't beat it. I do supplement his food with pellets so that he get variety. Good luck

BTW - I used to live in Australia (Brisbane area) it is a great place.

Moose

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Mooseman,

thanks for the tips, that is by far and beyond anything i expected, such detail :D I will do that exact thing that you said, I Live in brisbane yes it is wonderful, can't say i've ever lived over there in Utah but i'm sure its lovely none the less.

As For partners for my severum, i thought i might get a few pictures up so you, or anyone else could have a look and sex it for me, i think its female atm might have a closer look,

what do you think, no, what would you do if you were going to get a partner for a goldie

a) get another gold
b) get a greenie

open to any suggestions, and i'm still open to more great recepies

cheers

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
Myst,

I am by no means an expert on this subject but if you are looking for a partner for your Goldie just for looks I would go with the green just to get variety....if for breeding purposes etc.. I have no idea. As I mentioned, I have a green in my tank and I am looking for the Gold just to add some color to the tank. Also, my daughter seems to think that the Severums are "cute". I had a Gold severum once before and they are quite the fish when the get bigger but you do have to wait awhile as they are somewhat slow growers.

Moose

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
all good

yer for sure, its all good, umm well deciding on green or gold now, leaning more toward green cause i spose i could do with the variaity, but gold would be a nice pair...yer I intend to keep this fish so i'm not worried about slow growers....thanx again!

thanks for tha help!

I may start another thread about some more queries about choices etc.

[Edit] IF PICTURES DON'T COME UP TRY RIGHT-CLICKING AND ''Show Picture''[EDIT]

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store