for those considering a cannister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Gunner, I think we have both brought to light that you can get inexpensive alternatives that work very well

Rainbow, Gunner did a great write up on the SunSun.

the Catalina I have is silent..so silent I have to look at the flow in the tank to realize it is still running. .
the only down side to Catalina is their supplier or thier ordering staff as they ran out of the filters when I needed more...lol

hbosman

Registered Member
Jan 23, 2005
Gunner, I think we have both brought to light that you can get inexpensive alternatives that work very well

Rainbow, Gunner did a great write up on the SunSun.

the Catalina I have is silent..so silent I have to look at the flow in the tank to realize it is still running. .
the only down side to Catalina is their supplier or thier ordering staff as they ran out of the filters when I needed more...lol
How are your Catalina's holding up? Any issues with the hose disconnects? Have you had a chance to compare them to the SunSun filters?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
How are your Catalina's holding up? Any issues with the hose disconnects? Have you had a chance to compare them to the SunSun filters?
they are holding up fine.
the hose disconnects have had no issues.

on maintenance simply unplug pump. turn flow valves off and disconnect...

I have not had the opportunity to try sunsun..I would love too but no long use paypal(tho reconsidering the possibility)
I did order a new Catalina..model CA1000..ordered Friday and received the following Tuesday.
The model has changed.. they no longer use disconnects on the hoses.. but rather they now have a removable pump Assy...the hoses use a different connection..simply slide them on and tighten the nut(clamps up and locks the hose in position.)

I am curious how the newer removable pump assy works on shut off.
I'll prob test it this weekend. it appears the lever to remove the pump also works as the shut off.

hooked this up last night after a rinsing of parts.
used the primer(one pump in this case) flow started then plugged in filter.. flow is good.. I am only using filter floss atm and the filter is running in conjunction with the existing filter..I will transfer the media this weekend and add bio media.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37_40&products_id=971

one other change I noticed.. they only use a gasket on the bottom tray the idea is the gasket seals the tray and reduces bypass..the trays all still use gaskets on the 'in' flow side. the water goes to the bottom and flows up thru the trays to the pump (on top)

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Looks like they dropped there price back down, I wonder if its due to the Sunsun price of $36. I almost bought a Catalina if for anything other reason then that I wanted to know what it was like to own an Eheim at a fraction of the price. The Sunsun has been like a loving step-child that put spoiled blood children (name brands) to shame, it just does what its told so very well for so little, and so quietly.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Unsure as to the reason the price dropped.. but I think all 4 of the ones I have were at the sale price(approx $50)
the new version is as quiet as the old and performs just as well..(considering I am using these on 29G tanks :) )
truth be told I would love to try a SunSun

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it's trouble free.. actually easier to do maint on with the unit disconnect opposed to single hose on the earlier version.
all of them have been silent running.
I am currently running 3 of the 916's and 1 ca1000 all on 29 gallon tanks

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
If people want to buy cheap knock offs, that is their concern. I use only Eheim canisters and I have some that have been in service over 20 yrs and still function as they did the day they were purchased..

I have read too many horror stories about the Chinese knock offs to even consider them. Too many stories of floods and pictures of fires.. I aint going there. If you want to, go ahead.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
these 'cheap' knock offs have been running with no issues for over 2 years..IMHO worth the $50 investment..
I wanted to try one to see how it would perform.. so far it's been good. far better than I expected.

when considering the investment we make in our aquariums.. it was worth it to test.
if you don't have $150 - $200 to invest in a good canister.. this will get you into a descent one at a good price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store