Forgot to rinse carbon b4 putting in canister filter...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=2885;category_id=1725

One of the Lustar Hydro Sponge filters prob. either the three or the four. Yes it will not allow the sand into the filter and thats what you are trying to prevent, it also will prevent other large things from getting into your filter that sometimes can and will clog it. the water flow will be the same. the advantage of havingg that sponge on there is the first few things I said AND it acts as yet another filter. You see whenever the water is on something porus in a filter or the little ceramic rings and such the bacteria colonize on there. This is something you want because what this bacteria does is gets rid of ammonia and such. You have your own little circle of life going on in your aquarium. Did you rinse your sand off before you put it in there? when your thinking of fish look into cory cats or kuhli loaches they stir up the sand a little it by digging around in it... this prevents the sand from compacting well helps to prevent it anyway. sounds like you found quite the steal from the big screen people. trust me your going to spend a ton of money and than be like where did all of my money go and than your going to sit and calculate roughly how much you have spent on your fish and you'll prob poop my pants. I started out (the second time) with an aquarium that "all I needed was more gravel and fish" now three tanks later and countless dollars on fish and equipt. here I am. this forum is a reat tool for newbies. Please make sure you research any fish you may want before you impulse buy it and ask around because sometimes people at the LFS (local fish store) dont know what the hel! they are talking about and reccomend fish that should in no way be either compatable OR in a tank that is way to small

kimberlynns

AC Members
Dec 1, 2005
wwildcats04 said:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/category.xml?pcid1=2885;category_id=1725

One of the Lustar Hydro Sponge filters prob. either the three or the four. Yes it will not allow the sand into the filter and thats what you are trying to prevent, it also will prevent other large things from getting into your filter that sometimes can and will clog it. the water flow will be the same. the advantage of havingg that sponge on there is the first few things I said AND it acts as yet another filter. You see whenever the water is on something porus in a filter or the little ceramic rings and such the bacteria colonize on there. This is something you want because what this bacteria does is gets rid of ammonia and such. You have your own little circle of life going on in your aquarium. Did you rinse your sand off before you put it in there? when your thinking of fish look into cory cats or kuhli loaches they stir up the sand a little it by digging around in it... this prevents the sand from compacting well helps to prevent it anyway. sounds like you found quite the steal from the big screen people. trust me your going to spend a ton of money and than be like where did all of my money go and than your going to sit and calculate roughly how much you have spent on your fish and you'll prob poop my pants. I started out (the second time) with an aquarium that "all I needed was more gravel and fish" now three tanks later and countless dollars on fish and equipt. here I am. this forum is a reat tool for newbies. Please make sure you research any fish you may want before you impulse buy it and ask around because sometimes people at the LFS (local fish store) dont know what the hel! they are talking about and reccomend fish that should in no way be either compatable OR in a tank that is way to small
Yes, thats JUST what I said..."just need some gravel and fish"...well, its too late to turn back now and it will be worth it when its all set up and pretty to watch.

About the fish...I read some stuff here on impulse buying and so I don't want to do that...I went to a LFS and wrote down all the fish listed and came home and researched which ones are good for community tanks and would go together and I have a list started...its on another thread here somewhere and my paper I wrote it down on is not in this room, lol, but it did include congo tetras and cory cats I do remember. I'm taking my pleco to the pet store, they said they would take him, because he was given to me but he is going to be too big for my tank...he is only 4 inches long right now... and is in a bowl, not the tank, and I change the water every day and feed him algea tablets. Thats not good for him to be in the bowl... I know...

Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that sponges were made to cover the intake..I thought it was a home made type thing... so thanks. I"ll get one of those!

Kim

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
you sound like you have all the right intentions thats great
the sponge filter was not necesarily made to be put on the end of filters, it is a seperate type of filter that you attach an airline to and the other end on a pump, it runs and the air exiting the filter attracts water to come through it. it than gets a bunch of the junk stuck on it and the bacteria that i have talked about form on the end. you dont need all of that junk if you have the fluval so the only part of the filter that will be beneficial to you would be the actual sponge. so it is kinda a home made thing, Im not sure if a bunch of others do but it was recomended to me by a good friend because I breed some fish and I didnt want the babies to get sucked into the filter. than after having it for that reason I realized all the benefits of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store