fragging starfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goroboy

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
hey,
I own a starfish, its probably a kind of chocolate chip starfish but i'm not quite sure. I want to know how to frag it or to get it to multiply. Any input will be appreaciated. thx.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
They can reproduce either by sexual means or via amputation. For the amputation method to work, the amputated limb must contain some of the oral disk. The rest of the starfish should regenerate what has been removed. Personaly, i dont like the thought of it reproducing, these "can" be very damaging star's...

Just my opinion

Niko

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Agree with the above.. I don't think that "fragging" a starfish is a good idea. Then there is always the chance that one of the sections won't make it.. So you could be attempting something for nothing. Or even worse you could loose both fragged parts.

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I could not imagine cutting my CC star.That would be so cruel.I would just go buy another one if I wonted another rather than cut in to a living creature.There is always the risk that your CC star would die by attempting this and then you would be left with no CC star at all.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
To be perfectly honest with you most likely you will loose both halves. C.C. aren't that expensive either so it would be in your best intrest to just buy another.

goroboy

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
I don't know abput your experiences with chocolate chips, but mine is veeery mild. It's never attacked anything and limits itself to eating when I feed it...

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Definitely don't frag it, that is cruel. What do they cost anyways, $12.00 max? Just buy another one, besides, might give you the opportunity to see something cool at the LFS and buy it to! It happens to all of us, not that I would know anything about that though. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store