Fresh water crabs of all things

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
HI
I need some information on of all things a crab. Long story but my son has purchased one for his tank (medium communal tank) and although it is not my choice I still want to keep it healthy. It is a small thing about an inch long and is described as a red clawed crab I need some information on this type of thing, does it need special light, does it need to leave the water etc. The motive is selfish in a way as I am using his interest in tropical fish to enable me to start fish keeping again so I will be bugging you lot for information on fish in the future. So any web sites or info on crustaceans would be a great help.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Welcome to AC--we'll do all we can to help out!

It will need a way to get out of the water. If some accomodation isn't made, it will try climbing anything and everything, and they often end up escaping the tank and dying. They sell little floating islands, but really a terrarium setup is better for these guys IMO.

Also, they aren't often good community members--smaller and sleeping fish are possible snacks.

Hi
Thanks for all your help my sons crab now appears quite happy.
I have attached a piece of cork floor tile to the top of the plants and he now climbs up and on to this. It is below a light and gets reasonably warm so he spends at least 3-4 hours up there and this is were we put his food (seems to like small pieces of fish finger minus the batter) . He still patrols the tank and hides in pipes but at least he can get out now. So thanks for all your help and as my plan (son gets interested so I can get a tank) it seems to have worked and I plan to attempt to build a coustom tank, so will seek advice later on one of the other forums .

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store