Fresh water tips

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
I would suggest testing your tap water first of all, check the ph and ammonia in the water. Always use a dechlorinator, I use prime as its concentrated and very cost effective. If your ph is high in the tap water then use RO to keep the ph around 7.4
Since when is 7.4 the magic pH number? All but the most sensitive fish can adapt to a wide range of pH's and it's best to acclimate the fish to your tap water than to futz with it to make it lower. My pH is 8.0 out of the tap with a GH of like 4 or 5. I've kept bettas, honey gouramis, several kinds of tetras, german blue rams, otos, gobies, nannacara, guppies, sparkling gouramis, chocolate gouramis, scarlet badis, and a ctenopoma acutirostre.

The key to keeping most fish is not to have an ideal pH, but that whever the pH is, it stays stable and consistent.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Like Taari I've kept a variety of "soft water" fish at 8.0-8.2 water that is also fairly hard, and I'm glad I was never sucked into the "pH craze" like so many are....unless you're keeping wild caught or extremely sensitive fish or trying to breed certain species, I find no reason to add anything to most tap water other than dechlorinator. Again, this is under normal circumstances.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Since when is 7.4 the magic pH number? All but the most sensitive fish can adapt to a wide range of pH's and it's best to acclimate the fish to your tap water than to futz with it to make it lower. My pH is 8.0 out of the tap with a GH of like 4 or 5. I've kept bettas, honey gouramis, several kinds of tetras, german blue rams, otos, gobies, nannacara, guppies, sparkling gouramis, chocolate gouramis, scarlet badis, and a ctenopoma acutirostre.

The key to keeping most fish is not to have an ideal pH, but that whever the pH is, it stays stable and consistent.
To heck with pH...I use the RO when required to keep TDS where it needs to be....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store