freshwater clams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sunnygirl

AC Members
Mar 4, 2003
mn
Visit site
my little brother brought me two clams he dug from the local stream, and he wants me to put them in my tank. theyre pretty big. one is about 5 inches long and the other is about 3 inches long. so what i want to know is what diseases/parasites do they carry, and is there a way i can treat them in a seperate container to rid them of anything they may pass on to my fish? also, they have this black bristley hairlike growth on parts of them. what is this? i have them in a bucket of water right now. if i decide to keep them in a bucket or whatever, do they need substrate, or filtration? what should i feed them?

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Freshwater clams are filter feeders- extremely difficult to feed in an enclosed/managed environment like an aquarium. Plus when they die- how will you know? They'd be invisibly buried and rotting in your substrate.

Do you know whether what you found is a clam or a mussel?
I believe the freshwater mussels lifecycle contains a phase where they parasitize the fish?
And IMO bringing in anything wild is asking for parasite problems.

Personally I'd use this as a teaching opportunity- go online with little brother and learn about clams/mussels then decide together that putting them back into the stream would be the kindest thing.
JMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store