Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Freshwater cycling

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by Rbishop, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    Yesterday at 2:12 PM
    Mr. Normal
    errmm..you have posted them before....including in chat via PM to me..just saying...in addition, I can do research on my own...I need not rely on your links to provide me information..might even have read some of the stuff you posted/linked about previous to this convo.....

;)

2. Glabe

Glabe River Rat

Sep 19, 2014
    of course!

Rbishop vs. TTA! TTA takes a "science vs religion" approach to bring down the thread which so many turn to for guidance. Rbishop gains ground when TTA consistently and annoyingly calls out every single technicality, disregarding any and all implications. TTA gains ground when he uses fancy walls of text and links which we are all too dumb to understand and too lazy to read. Will Rbishop stick to his guns? or will he use his jesus-powers to silence the evil heretic? Will we question and abandon our prophet in the name of science?

Find out the answers and MORE on page #20 of this thread!

3. Dreadz

Dreadz Registered Member

Sep 30, 2012
    At the risk of starting another argument just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know that Safestart certainly seems to be working for me and in far from ideal conditions (tanked is well overstocked for cycling purposes!!) I dosed tank 4 days ago, and it's gone from fluctuating (albeit fairly low) levels of ammo and very little else to today showing 0 ammo/nitrite and <5ppm nitrate and I can only attribute thus to the safestart.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4. Fish_Bone

Fish_Bone AC Members

Samual
    Nov 20, 2015
    Samual
  5. Glabe

Glabe River Rat

Sep 19, 2014
    i've always pictured him in more classy jammies

6. TwoTankAmin

Aug 3, 2017

From http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=214764&start=45

7. TwoTankAmin

Aug 3, 2017
    from http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/docs/cwt/guidance/3310en.pdf

from http://www.awqa.org/farmers/numbers.html

8. Mamajin

Mamajin Psychotic Female

Oct 20, 2015
    I am currently attempting to do a fishless cycle with my 30G freshwater tank. I'm using the API Test Master Kit, DrTim's One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria, and DrTim's Ammonium Chloride. Current tank temp is 79F, and there are no live plants or driftwood.

I've followed the directions from Dr Tim's website (at least I think I did it right), and am now on day 12 of the cycle. Day 3 Nitrite was at 0ppm and Ammo was .25ppm so I added 30 drops of Ammonium Chloride. 5th day Nitrite was 0ppm and Ammo was at .25ppm so I added 30 drops of Ammonium Chloride. 7th day Ammo was .5ppm and Nitrite was .25 and no Ammonium Chloride was added. 9th day Ammo/Nitrite 0ppm so I added 30 drops of Ammonium Chloride. 11th day Ammo was .25 and Nitrite was 0ppm. 12th day Ammo is 25ppm and Nitrite is at 0ppm.

Should I keep adding the Ammonium Chloride? Did I mess up somewhere, or are things where they should be?

9. TwoTankAmin

Aug 3, 2017
    Your tank is cycled. that .25 and even a .25 reading is not accurate. You can not continually have an ammonia reading, even a low one and not get a nitrite reading that follows it.

If ammonia is at 0 and nitrite is also, then you have cycled tank. if something causes the ammonia to go up, it means there are not enough bacteria working to clear the ammonia and they will reproduce. The result is more nitrite gets produced as well- that is more nitrite than the nitrite bacteria can handle. So while the nitrite eaters are working and reproducing, you get some excess nitrite which would show up on the test.

While is has not been documented or scientifically researched, there are an increasing number of posts on the net about issues with the API test kit and ammonium chloride. On the surface it makes no sense this would be a problem, but apparently it is. i am working with somebody on another forum in the exact same situation. Nitrite acts right and ammonia wont go below .25 ppm.

At this point you have two options- to hold the cycle you dose about 4-5 drops every few days, or else do a water change and add a bunch of fish.

10. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh AC Members

Joel
    Wednesday at 2:58 PM
    Joel
    I'm not sure about the Dr. Tim products or instructions, but have recently gone through fishless cycling by adding household ammonia in both a 29gal and 10gal tank. Are you measuring for nitrates? I'm not sure how this tank could be cycled if you are not seeing any nitrates.