Freshwater cycling

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Cycling and pH?

I'm doing a fishless cycle, seeded the tank with a friend's filter floss, and everything seemed to be progressing normally but my pH and nitrates took a dive this morning. pH is 7.2 out of the tap, but has been holding steady around 7.6-7.8 since starting the tank and I've been dosing the tank back up to a total of 3 ppm ammonia after each test since it hit 0 on the 26th. Water's clear, used SeaChem Prime when I initially filled it on the 21st, using well-rinsed silica sand for the substrate, no plants or decorations yet barring a few river rocks I boiled and tested for acid solubility (and I think they would raise the pH if anything). I'm using the API Freshwater Master Test Kit ...and should I worry about this? Thanks for any insight!

Last few days:
7/27 pH 7.8, Ammonia 2, Nitrite 1, Nitrate 10
7/28 pH 7.8, Ammonia 2, Nitrite 2, Nitrate 10
7/29 pH 7.2, Ammonia 1, Nitrite 3, Nitrate 17
7/30 pH 6.6, Ammonia .5, Nitrite 5+, Nitrate 6

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Forgot that I did do one thing differently yesterday...I installed a brand new sponge filter to start seeding it for my 10 gallon. I hear they help with nitrate levels, but that quickly? And would that change my pH? Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The pH will drop once the Co2 gasses off from the tap. Try filling up a bowl/dish of water and let it sit for a few days. Test the pH later and it should have dropped from the original level.

As for the nitrates, not sure why they dropped, it should be going the other way. I would just see where things go.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Howdy again...I tested some of my tapwater that had been sitting out for a few days (I let my plant water sit out in a pitcher before watering them), and it also read 7.2. But what worries me is this morning my aquarium pH dropped further...the test reads 6.0 but it could be less since the test bottoms out at 6.0. I don't want my bacteria to die! I just don't understand what's causing it to drop..I've got an empty tank besides sand, a few rocks, a sponge filter, stealth heater and my aquaclear 110 running on the back w/the standard media that came with it. I started the whole system up on the 21st and pH held steady at 7.6-7.8 until it started dropping on the 29th...after I added the sponge filter. I rinsed that out properly, and I've never heard of them causing a drop in pH before...I'm fairly lost, but thinking I should run to my LFS for a GH and KH testing kit and maybe some coral and nylons. Any ideas would be appreciated...

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Will you do a article about fishless cycling with specially made cycling products such as Cycle? Thanks, great article!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
For the most part, additives like Cycle are not considered effective ways to start/maintain a cycle as they are not refrigerated and do not contain any legitamately live bacteria. The only additive sold that is regarded to have any efficacy is Biospira as its refrigerated. People have mixed results with that product as well because there is no way to determine how it was handled from manufacturer to stores and if the temps drop too much the bacteria will die. Hope this helps!

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Yes. It applies to any body of FW.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
Also, which method would you reccomend for a pond?
Getting bacteira from a tank or the fishless cycle?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Fishless is always the safest and most humane method IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store