freshwater dwarf puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SammieSam83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Hi! I just got a freshwater dwarf puffer today, and he is quite aggressive! He is stressing my other fish out, so I am giving him to a friend. I was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of fish puffers get along with with. Thanks for your help! :) ~Samantha

AsahiToro

Fish Nazi
May 28, 2002
Lutz, Fl
The freshwater dwarf puffer does not require salt. They are truly freshwater. They remain very small and generally peaceful but can be fin nippers for slower moving, more docile tankmates.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The freshwater dwarf puffers can have the tendency to be a bit nippy at others fins, though with a large enough aquarium, this problem can be somewhat alleviated, though I'm guessing some are a bit more nippier than others for territorial issues. Mine are in a 55 gal. with Angels, cories, plecos, and a shark..... and there are no problems between them at all....... what size is the tank?

SammieSam83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Well I just got him today, do you think maybe he will adjust? Also, can this tail and fin nipping be harmful to my other fish? I have a gourami and two angels.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
hmmmmm...... it could be that he's just trying to set his order in rank for the others and it should end in a couple of days at most.....I would suggest that if it goes on and you see it still being a problem after a couple days, then give him away....

what size is the tank and fish?

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Bad mix,puffers nip the gourami,angels can defend themselves though.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Maybe the angel's thin anal fins are more obvious than the gourami's

SammieSam83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Ok, well I was wondering about this fin nipping, can the puffer actually take chunks out of them? Is he better off in a tank by himself, or with some more compatible fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store