freshwater dwarf puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
They are usually best in a species tank,they kinda school,i think,they have fused teeth which looks like a beak and yeah,they take out chunks not bits.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Everything I read states the same. SPECIES only with salt on some species. I saw a few different species of the puffers that were about 5 inches each. and sold for 29.00-50.00 each. WOW they were really NICE Fish...If your going to make a species only tank..get a few of these guys..

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Then you will be shocked when i say my lfs sells figure 8 puffers for 2 bucks which is housed in the same tank as Elephantnoses which sells for 15 bucks.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The puffer wont take chunks out of the angel, they are merely fin nippers. As your angel grows, the problem should work itself out and the puffer will leave him alone. As a cichlid, this fin-nipping of your angel won't be tolerated for too long. Although, I'd still recommend moving him if the nipping gets overly-excessive...... just keep an eye on them for a couple of days....

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
You COULD mix them,with fishes that can handle them like plecos,barbs and fishes with short fins

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Originally posted by Dangerdoll
The puffer wont take chunks out of the angel, they are merely fin nippers. As your angel grows, the problem should work itself out and the puffer will leave him alone. As a cichlid, this fin-nipping of your angel won't be tolerated for too long. Although, I'd still recommend moving him if the nipping gets overly-excessive...... just keep an eye on them for a couple of days....
Chunks of the angels fins is what i meant,not other parts.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The dwarf puffers only get to be an inch long max, tail included and aren't nearly as aggressive as the figure eights.... I still say they will eventually be at peace with your angels as mine are at peace with my angels...

AsahiToro

Fish Nazi
May 28, 2002
Lutz, Fl
Here are a couple of links for the dwarf freshwater puffer:
http://www.rr.iij4u.or.jp/~kohda/en/en-dwarfpuffer.htm

http://www.pufferfish.co.uk/aquaria/species/pufferfish/types/tetrtrav.htm

Careful not to confuse them with larger/brackish/usually more aggressive puffers. The dwarf can sometimes be OK in a community tank, it depends on the individual puffer(s) and it's tankmates. Usually though they do better in a small group, species type tank. Mine love bloodworms and live brine. They won't touch flake or other dry foods. They get more aggressive if they haven't been fed in awhile. HTH,

Scott

SammieSam83

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I am just worried because it looks like part of one of my angel's top fin has a chunk out of it. I am hoping my puffer will stop his antics, because he is a cute one. I ahve kept angel fish, gouramis and other types for a little over two years, but this is my first experience with a puffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store