Freshwater fish with the most personality and intelligence

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
most wont do well with guppies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Is it the fancy fins?

The guppies are actually going to be moved when my girlfriend and I get our own tanks. Without the guppies maybe?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Is it the fancy fins?

The guppies are actually going to be moved when my girlfriend and I get our own tanks. Without the guppies maybe?
the fins and the colors. just have a back up plan regardless bc bettas dont always work in community tanks.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
So anyone else know of a fish with some interesting things about their intelligence and/or personality? I can't get over the idea of having a fish that will play with something. That just sounds so cool

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
crayfish (not shrimp) are pretty awesome. they will decorate the tank as they want and they have a lot of spunk. mine will vome right up to the front of the tank eith its claws raised. i bet he would play with a toy if i put one in with him.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
most wont do well with guppies.
I have a betta now who I'd trust with any fish out there. He's just plain laid back. We had a betta when I was growing, we kept him in a 5g by himself and would put 6-8 guppies in once a month. By the end of the month, no more guppies. :) We saw it as a live treat. I would probably say the the betta will do wonderfully with guppies. How will the guppies do? Eh, guppies are cheap. :D

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
So anyone else know of a fish with some interesting things about their intelligence and/or personality? I can't get over the idea of having a fish that will play with something. That just sounds so cool
I actually bought some endler's last week and they will play in the current from my spraybar. And I do mean PLAY. As individuals and groups (males and females) they will swim back and forth (I have it pointed at the glass and angled slightly up) playing at getting blown out of the water. Fortunately I have a lid or I might have lost some fish.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
German rams - Have the personality of a fish 10 times their size. Fearless little things.
Goldfish - Very unique personalities on each fish. They all display different behaviors depending upon the fish. Always entertaining to watch.

rgonzales

AC Members
Mar 30, 2012
Rays and large puffers can have alot of personality.

Of course oscars can be included too

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Fronts are like Oscar in the fact that they also are like 'wet pets' mine are still about 2 inches and already eating out of my hand and they will play around my fingers. My severums and geophagus have great personalities too.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
My Jewel cichlids definitely have that 'real pet' personality. Especially the male.
On the other end of the spectrum (not freshwater), I have a Sharp-nose puffer(Spotted Toby) that likes to squirt me like a water pistol whenever I open the lid to feed him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store