Friend in Desperate Need of Algae Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
uv wont kill your plants, it kills the freeflaoting algae spore that travel thru your filter tubing. yeah thats cyano. i tried everything, but ended up using maracyn 1/2 doses and at that it nuked my tank and i lost fish but it did kill the BGA

Opicana

AC Members
May 13, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
Thanks for the help so far. There is no way to "fix" this problem. If he doses, there is still a chance he can get cyanobacteria from another source. When I was researching it, I read a study that found the presence of cyanobacteria spores in drinking water...so I guess the best solution thus far would be a UV filter.

He blames me for this invasion since he got it immediately after I gave him some moss from my tank. It is likely that my moss was carrying cyanobacteria, I guess. However, it isn't growing in my tank, so doesn't that mean the conditions are right in his tank for growing it & not mine?

What I am getting at is, is there no way to improve his setup to deter algae?

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Thanks for the help so far. There is no way to "fix" this problem. If he doses, there is still a chance he can get cyanobacteria from another source. When I was researching it, I read a study that found the presence of cyanobacteria spores in drinking water...so I guess the best solution thus far would be a UV filter.

He blames me for this invasion since he got it immediately after I gave him some moss from my tank. It is likely that my moss was carrying cyanobacteria, I guess. However, it isn't growing in my tank, so doesn't that mean the conditions are right in his tank for growing it & not mine?

What I am getting at is, is there no way to improve his setup to deter algae?
The "spores" are present everywhere. It's true that there is something about his tank that is allowing them to grow in such numbers. Your moss may have jump started what would have happened regardless.

I'd recommend against the antibiotic treatment, only because I personally feel that this isn't an appropriate use for those drugs. The UV sterilization should stop the growth of the algae, but it isn't solving the underlying problem. But, if your friend just wants the symptoms gone, then that's the easiest answer and go with it. Diagnosing what is the real underlying cause of why they are growing in his tank may be an act of futility though.

Opicana

AC Members
May 13, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
The "spores" are present everywhere. It's true that there is something about his tank that is allowing them to grow in such numbers. Your moss may have jump started what would have happened regardless.

I'd recommend against the antibiotic treatment, only because I personally feel that this isn't an appropriate use for those drugs. The UV sterilization should stop the growth of the algae, but it isn't solving the underlying problem. But, if your friend just wants the symptoms gone, then that's the easiest answer and go with it. Diagnosing what is the real underlying cause of why they are growing in his tank may be an act of futility though.
Thank you Zaffy, I agree with you. I will advise him as such.

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store