Frozen tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Twill

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Davenport, Iowa
Does anyone know if any issues with tanks that have been exposed to below-freezing temperatures? Does it harm the seals in any way, or would the tanks still be safe to use?

rush07

AC Members
Mar 12, 2006
I can't tell you for sure but I can tell you that I just set up a 92 gallon corner tank that had been in my garage for the first half of the winter exposed to below freezing temps. Nothing too extreme, may 8-10F was the coldest. I have had it filled and cycling for about 3 weeks with no issues. I would not think that the silicone would have an issue being in freezing temps but I am sure someone here can tell you for sure.

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
As long as the silicone still feels soft and rubbery, not hard and dried out, it should be fine. As with any tank, though, give it a test fill somewhere that you don't mind getting wet, just in case.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I look at it like this... If you aren't sure re-seal it. I would rather spend a weekend re-sealing a tank, than spend any amout of time trying to fix it when its full of fish. I don't think the weather alone would have any adverse effects on the seal, unless it was exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. but if the silicone looks questionable, I wouldn't take that chance.

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Freezing won't hurt the seals unless there was water in it when it froze. If that is the case it could wreck the seals. Silicone is an amazing sealant and will withstand amazing abuse before failing. I would also test it first to check for leaks just in case.

Twill

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Davenport, Iowa
Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm getting the tank drilled, so once the bulkheads are in place I'll definitely test it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store