Fry question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alexx

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Success!! My first fry raised to adulthood! or rather... to about the size of neons! =)
My sister just picked up four of them. I'm so sad to see them go!! Her tank has been up about 6 weeks, it is cycled, and seems great! I told her not to add any fish but she couldn't resist! (I think she had the tank up 3 days...) My cute, little, poorly bred Yellow Lab/ Kenyi(?) fry are going to be joining about 5 zebra danios and a couple platys. We'll see how that goes, right?!
Thanks everyone for all your help! I feel like a wicked champ! Next time, hopefully, when I try it again I'll have a mom and dad from the same species... :)

BABIES!.jpg

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
That's awesome! Congrats!

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Looks great! They grew fast! Congrats!

alexx

AC Members
Apr 19, 2009
Yeah Kenyi--They did grow really fast!! Some of them are big and shaped like kenyi, others are little and shaped more like labs! Colors are all over the place with all being faintly striped and peachy. Some with more yellow, and some are a little blue! I'm pretty happy to keep them in the family so I can keep tabs on them and see how they develop!
But they are HUGE. The littlest are already nearly an inch. The biggest are over an inch and MEAT-Y!!! I had the good fortune to find a fairly knowledgeable kid at pet smart that led me to start feeding them the whole frozen brine shrimp with spirulina. They only ate the frozen baby shrimp for about a week. Pretty much from the time they could suck the big shrimp down, that's what they've been eating. It was cool- for a while they were doubling in size every other day! or so it seemed... big and mature enough for granules now... or I'm too poor (cheap) to keep them eating the expensive stuff. :)
All I can hope for now is that they grow up with their father's good looks--- but NOT his temperament!!! That they can get from mom! ;)

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
As long as you keep them in the family they should be fine i wouldn't let them out to LFS or unknown sources as there is a huge problem in today's times for hybrids and unnatural fishes.. I have a Tanganyika hybrid but he will never leave my tank..

kenyi

Maylandia lombardoi
Jun 18, 2010
Northern VA
Real Name
Joe
Yeah Kenyi--They did grow really fast!! Some of them are big and shaped like kenyi, others are little and shaped more like labs! Colors are all over the place with all being faintly striped and peachy. Some with more yellow, and some are a little blue! I'm pretty happy to keep them in the family so I can keep tabs on them and see how they develop!
But they are HUGE. The littlest are already nearly an inch. The biggest are over an inch and MEAT-Y!!! I had the good fortune to find a fairly knowledgeable kid at pet smart that led me to start feeding them the whole frozen brine shrimp with spirulina. They only ate the frozen baby shrimp for about a week. Pretty much from the time they could suck the big shrimp down, that's what they've been eating. It was cool- for a while they were doubling in size every other day! or so it seemed... big and mature enough for granules now... or I'm too poor (cheap) to keep them eating the expensive stuff. :)
All I can hope for now is that they grow up with their father's good looks--- but NOT his temperament!!! That they can get from mom! ;)
I agree, at first glance I thought that one of your labs looked almost exactly like one of my kenyi fry. I agree with pittbull, but as long as you're just giving them away to a friend it will be fine. There's nothing really wrong with hybrids,
they just populate the market now of fish that are labeled as "purebreads". I doubt they are though- do you have any other species in your tank? They look great though, I'm happy to see them. They grow in size really quickly- especially with the brine shrimp. Great job with them, they have grown faster than mine have ever have and look great! Congrats!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store