Fry surprise!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
forse, I might try breeding again for the right fish species...at the right time. But I am still happy to see my 2 little loaches! Both were on the front glass just now munching on algae.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Update: I saw both fry today & they seem to be growing faster than I remember others doing. They're almost too big for the danios' mouths now, whew!, I've been a bit worried.

I've been putting off weeding this tank more but I need to do it soon. Jungle vals are moving along the front glass, duckweed is clogging the prefilters & blocking the light; java moss needs some heavy removal. But I feel safe to do it soon.

Happy New Year!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
& now I see 4 sewellia fry!! All on the front glass :D 2 are slightly larger, 1 a tiny bit smaller & # 4 even smaller. Could there be more?!? Their best fry "yield" yet.

& a female is going all "fluttery fins" near an adult male :cool:. I'm not sure what that means, maybe more eggs/fry coming soon!?! I've never seen them breed...:rolleyes:

My husband did a major water change yesterday while I was out doing errands, what a great helper I have, lol. Just another reason not to keep a "too meticulously clean" tank; clean water, yes, but lots of plants & algae growth plus the "micro-fauna" on them too.

I'm thrilled!!

Reactions: dudley and dougall

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Congratulations again! I bet they are really, really cute.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks guys! & I just saw a fifth fry! All on the front glass at the "far corner" end again. I'm glad this tank is next to my computer or I might miss all the cuteness action :D

It's funny, 2 of the bigger fry & 2 small are starting to get the "hillstream shape" fins, but 1 of the largest still has short "baby fins". I wonder if that's a sex difference...

I'm not even going to try to get pics of this batch. There's a ton of algae/micro-fauna/food I want to leave for them. Here's 1 (or is it 2 ?) earlier sewellia loach fry, photography isn't my hobby as you can tell.
https://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/threads/a-couple-of-my-loaches.287072/

Reactions: the loach

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So yesterday there were 7 fry on the front glass!!! 2 or 3 are bigger; the others pretty much the same size. I wonder if there are even more from this batch...

I have a LOT of algae & a ton of plants. I will be weeding out some plants tomorrow for my club meet, but not scraping the algae, at least not the end the fry like. I have seen them at the other end but not many or often. Sometimes the adults chase them but no more aggressively than they chase each other.

The leopard danios seem oblivious to what are still likely bite sized sewellia. Maybe they just prefer flake food to live? I'm pretty sure hillstream loaches don't have eye spines like many other loaches. Maybe the "Velcro-like" fins are too chewy?

Oh & I've seen 1 of the stiphodon gobies a few times lately!

Anyway, I'm still thrilled with these fish! 7 years into my first hillstream river-ish tank, I glad moving made me try it out. I had dial up in the late 90s - 2000s & didn't have the patience to wait for all the hilly pics to load on loaches.com. NOW I get it!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store