Gardinieri(?) Killifish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Hey I have a chance to stock up on up to 30 Gardinieri Killifish for $4.99 each. And I am wondering if I should buy at least some of them. Unfortunately they dont have any males at the moment only females but they will be getting males in next week for $5.99 each. If I buy females I will buy males.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Would these be your first killi fish? What set up would you have for them? Killies can be very aggressive, and really do best in a species only tank, particularly if you want to breed them. Pretty, but not for everyone.

labont865

Nov 26, 2004
They would have their own 20 gal. for now. I will be getting another 90 gal, very soon and may consider moving them into it. And yes they would be my first Killis. I have heard that Gardinieris are very hard to find, that is why I may take advantage of the opportunity.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
No they're pretty common for a killie, though there are some more unusual regional colour varieties around. I kept a pair in a big 3 gallon bowl in my sons bedroom w/ just a heater and was always pulling out fry, so I think they're pretty hardy. A 20 would be a bit wasted on them?

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
Yes, they are usually maintained in small tanks. Regular killie breeders breed them in plastic shoe boxes. I have no idea why anyone would want more than three of each sex. They are really one of the more available of the species.

labont865

Nov 26, 2004
Hmm. Thats strange. The breeder says that the Gardinieri is probably the rarest species of Killi. But he was kinda talking about our area. We dont get Killis up in my twon very often. As a matter of fact this is probably the second time I have seen them in nearly 2 years. And the first time I have ever seen Gardinieris here. Oh well. I think I have decided to pass on them anyways. Thanks for everybodies input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store