Gasping Or Hungry!??!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aznknight

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
honestly when ppl say fish gasp because they lack the oxygen needed.......i cant really tell the difference???.....my fish often come to the top of the water and just start chompin away......to be it appears to be that they want food......or they r looking for floating food.........so how can i tell if they r gasping??

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They are likely gasping...how warm is it? If they are fed well, they won't be begging for food...so I'd guess gasping, but warmth of water is the usual reason...or low water quality. We need more info on the water parameters!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
if they are gasping they are just at the top opening their mouths and looking like they are going to die. if they are hungry they will do the same thing but they will actully stick their heads out of the water and make slurping noises. My kois would actully get out of the water past their eyes. and would do this everytime someone goes by even though i feed them about 10 times a day. (you guys don't have to be concerned about over feeding. ive had a pond for over 10 years and i dont over feed, i like giving them little bits thoughout the day because they do not have stomachs and its so they can digest and then get more food without stuffing themselves once a day.) -john

fredfish

AC Members
Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
easiest way to tell is this: if they only do this when you enter their field of vision then they are "begging" for food, if they do this constantly even when they cant see you, then you got a problem with the oxygen level or toxin level with your water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store